Printer, Scanner and Ex. DVD Drive needed..

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Amber, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Amber macrumors regular

My girlfriend has £170 to spend on a Printer, scanner and an external DVD drive for her iBook G4.

She needs the DVD drive because she locked the region on her iBook.

The Printer will be for printing photos, essays, possibly stickers etc. She is in Fashion College so that sort of stuff they do!

And also a scanner. She will probably scan in some things like fabric and objects maybe. Experimental stuff.

I said she'd be better of getting a seperate scanner and printer as I don't like the idea of all in one things. I have a Canon 4200 Pixma which I'm happy with and she likes it too but I dont think they sell it now.

She is a student so can get discount on Amazon I believe. Obviously the stuff must work well with a Mac, have cheap long lasting inks (Epson suck for this I believe) and not huge as her room is kinda small.

Any advice would be great!

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

A Pixma will kill two of those birds and I have not had any issues with mine, whatsoever. In fact, I just reloaded with generic ink and that was another benefit that I didn't even think of - ink cost.

As for a DVD drive, do you need burning capabilities? I've always used Sony in the past with good success, but I would imagine most brands will work.

PS. Damn you guys pay a premium for electronics...

3. Amber thread starter macrumors regular

You mean an All in One pixma? Aren't they usually frowned upon?

Anyone else?

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

They sell the 4300 now, which is the printer I'm considering at the moment.

For an all in one scanner/copyer/printer, check out Canon MP600, that seems like a nice little machine.

Any external firewire LaCie dvd burner should take of those DVD needs... :)

Edit: The LaCie burners are quite pricey (at least in Apple Store), so you might look at other firewire burners... And if the MP600 is too expensive, and you want the IP4300, then Canon has at least one Mac compatible, relatively cheap scanner...

Disclaimer: All links are for komplett.co.uk, not because I have some affiliation with them, or even that they are the cheapest supplier, it's just the only British shop I'm familiar with... ;)

5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Why would you think this? I own a Canon MP780 - scan quality is good, print quality is good, makes color and b/w copies and mine also faxes, without issue...I used to be an AIO hater, but they have really come down in price and satisfy my document needs...