Printer Sharing Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by gaomay, Sep 12, 2002.

1. gaomay macrumors regular

My colleagues and I run a mixed OSX.2 (me) and OS9 network. We are looking to share some USB inkjets over the network but can't work out how to do it. Can anyone help?

We'd also like to set up a system whereby our ordering files are all on one computer and can be seen and used by all the others (at present they are on a Zip disk which is passed around).

Thanks in advance.

2. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

Have you turned on personal file sharing and printer sharing in the Sharing pref pane?

3. gaomay thread starter macrumors regular

yes. Just can't 'see' each other printers - they're epson sc 740s if that helps.

4. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

First of all you have to have the printer driver on both computers.

To see the OS 9 printer in Jaguar, go to the OS 9 comp, go to USB Printer Sharing (in Control Panel), and turn on share your printer. Then, go to the Jaguar computer, go to Print Center, and Add Printer. The printer should show up in the network list.

To see the Jaguar printer in OS 9, you have to use Classic. First, boot into OS 9, go to USB Printer Sharing, and turn on share your printer. Then, go back to Jaguar, and turn on Classic. Then go to your OS 9 computer, open USB Printer Sharing, Network Printers, and Add Printer. Your Jaguar (Classic) printer should show up. Then, just select it, go to Chooser, and you should be able to print.

Hope that helps. If there's some points you need to clear up, just tell me.

irmongoose

5. gaomay thread starter macrumors regular

First of all, thanks for taking the time to help us out, I (we) appreciate it.

What do you mean by network printers in the print center utility in X.2? All I see is Appletalk, Directory Services, IP and USB and the printer is not in any of them.

Thanks agaiin.

6. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Have you turned on Appletalk on the OS 9 machine? Did you turn on the printer sharing in USB Printer Sharing in the control panels?

For more help, go to the Mac Help, type in printer sharing, and you should get a few useful help documents.

irmongoose