Printer Sharing idea

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Albone, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Albone macrumors regular

I have an eMac and a wireless powerbook, both running Panther. Is their a way to plug my HP 5550 usb printer into my Netgear Router, and be able to select the printer from either computer in this way?

Right now, my emac is connected to the printer and the router with printer sharing on. I find I can't print to the printer from the powerbook even though the computer is on, and printer sharing is enabled.

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

If there is a USB port on the route then probably yes. You should gotten an AirPort Extreme Base Station and this would be really easy.

3. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Unfortuneately, your router probably doesn't have a USB port. You have two options.

1. Get a USB printer server. Since you have an HP, they make something called the Jet Direct Server or something. Other companies make print servers, but for use on Macs, you probably have to mess around with drivers and such.

2. Keyspan has introduced their new USB Server. You plug this into one of your routers ethernet port. Then you plug your USB devices (printers, scanners, hard drives) into the server. This goes for $130.

4. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

i have printer sharing working on my wireless network my imac runs the printer.
    The trick is to print from a os 9 app i need to setup printer sharing in OS 9 and the server and have os 9 running. x works great for sharing for me.

5. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

This could be an issue me too, as I'm going to pick up an AirPort Extreme card for my PowerBook cheap from the USA when I go next month and I'll need a base station. The Apple one is the obvious choice, but there's no way I can justify spending 6 times as much as a perfectly functional PC one.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Unless you want wireless USB print capabilites. Once you sport the $80 for a wireless router, and the $130 or so for wireless USB print server, you might as well have gotten the AE with it's tight integration with your Apple hardwear.
    Just my $.02

7. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

The problem is that I can get an 802.11b router for around £40 ($75), an 802.11g for about £60-70 ($130), or I can shell out £180 ($350) for the Apple one. For something that is pretty much a novelty around the house, it is very difficult to justify, especially on Apple UK prices. Don't get me wrong though, I'd love the Apple Base Station but I might have to just make do without wireless printing... :(

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Wow, that's messed up. The AE is only $199 or $249 here. However, I was only using your post to illustrate the point about buying a wireless 'g' router and then finding that you really don't want to get up and plug in every time you have a page to print. A lot of people look at the AE and dismiss it as too expensive, and in your case that's probably true, but once you price out all the features it's pretty competitive. Of course if you don't need wireless USB printing, then wireless 'g' routers can be had for MUCH cheaper.