Printer Sharing issues (Printer over Wireless ouch)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by slooksterPSV, Apr 20, 2006.

1. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I think I know the answer to this question, but it doesn't hurt to ask. I just bought a Lexmark Z611 Colorjet printer. I tried to share it, but on any other computer it goes so slow to connect to it and everything else, it won't even print either. I don't have the drivers installed by OS X, I just have the drivers off of the CD that came with the printer.

My iBook has the Printer on USB, and my iBook connects to my network wirelessly. 2 other computers go through a router to the wireless DSL box. Is there a better way to make the printer available to all users over wireless or am I going to have to do it wired or do I need the OS X drivers installed for Windows sake? If anyone could help, thanks in advance.

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

I would recommend an ethernet print server. I've been using a DLink DP300U for more that a year now and I forget it's there most of the time. I set it up initially and haven't touched it since. The speed is fine and you don't need any particular system to be on in order to print to it. You would plug it into your router but all your systems could access it via their wireless connection to your router.