printer sharing

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Albone, Feb 22, 2004.

1. Albone macrumors regular

Jul 22, 2003
    I've got an emac, a 12 inch powerbook and a HP 5550 printer. The emac is connected to a Netgear router (got Broadband) and the powerbook has airport. The printer is connected to the emac by a USB printer cable.

Is there any way to print from the 12 inch powerbook to my printer without being wired? By the way, what does printer sharing do? I have it turned on, on the emac and it doesn't seem to help.

Thanks for your help!
  2. pdt macrumors newbie

Dec 31, 2003
    I have almost an identical setup that works (emac-wired, iBook-airport, Epson 740 printer-usb). I've found that sometimes the printer does not show up on the laptop. Usually just making sure the emac is awake and/or opening the printer utility program to make sure the printer is accepting jobs makes it work. In short, it works but it's a little flakey at times.
  3. abhishekit macrumors 65816

Nov 6, 2003
    akron , ohio
    if you dont want to keep your emac awake all time, you can get a print server. That way, your printer would have an I.P. and you can do ipprinting on your powerbook.
  4. oldschool macrumors 65816

Sep 30, 2003
    To wake up the eMac from your powerbook get this utility Wake Up. This way you can keep the eMac sleeping, then when you want to pring just wake up the emac remotely and print.

Works excellently for me.