Printer suggestions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by pigbat, Feb 25, 2006.

1. pigbat macrumors regular

A follow up to my printer problem question. If I don't get it working I may just get a new one.

What companies seem to offer the best mac printing support? I'm looking for a good utility printer. I seldom use color and could probably get by with B&W only or even a low end laser.

2. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I am partial to Canon printers. I have had great experience with them. My HP laser printer has also performed admirably.

3. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Hey.

I've been doing some research for a new printer as well.

I'm likely going with a Canon, but Epson would be second pick. Both work well with macs.

4. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

In that case, you should consider the Samsung ML-2010.
    It's a B&W personal laser that is VERY reasonably priced (~$50 frequently after rebates, perhaps even cheaper).
    It has worked flawlessly with both of our Macs (G5 iMac, G4 PB).
    My only complaint is that they don't have their "toner-saver" setting available for Mac users.
    Otherwise, though, I can't complain.

Good luck!

5. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

i suggest canon. mine was recognived right off by my computer, unlike the hp that my parents got.

i have been very happy with my canon.

6. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I have the Canon iP6600D and I'm very happy with it. It works great with my Intel iMac, before that I used it with my G5 iMac Rev.B with no problems as well as an iBook G4. I also have the Epson R300 but much prefer the Canon to the Epson for the picture quailty.

7. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

I have a Canon iP4200. I LOVE THIS PRINTER! You can't beat it. It's a no frills printer. However, the print quality is brilliant.

I had two HPs that worked like crap on my Macs. They would have the classic stopped jobs problem where I couldn't get a document to print. They also printed a lot of blank pages when the page being printed was outside the possible margins. (very annoying)

8. pigbat thread starter macrumors regular

Excuse my ignorance, this is all new to me. The printers you have all mentioned don't show up in my driver listing. Will they ship with a driver I need to install or is there a generic driver that supports them?

9. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Yes the driver will be on the disc that comes with the printer. I only keep Canons drivers on my Macs anyway just to save space on my HDD. I was stressed about the drivers since I changed over to the Intel iMac from my G5 iMac but it worked out just fine. Enjoy whichever printer you decide :)

10. crazyfortech macrumors member

do not get HP printers, first of all they jam all the time, then they just don't work that good with macs, and their quality is bad.

the only thing good about hp is thier support