Printer Suggestions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by insomniac321123, Jun 22, 2006.

1. insomniac321123 macrumors 6502

Sorry if this is a repeat thread, I searched and couldnt find anything.

I am looking for a printer/scanner/copier. Does anyone have any favorites?
    It will mainly be used for printing documents, but I will do some pictures.

2. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

My suggestion, stay away from multi-purpose machines. If your printing documents, a good Brother or HP B/W laser printer will last a long time, and have relatively cheep toner. Then find a cheep inkjet and scanner. Heck, so when you turn on an inkjet these days, it basically dumps half the ink out while it "cleans" its self.

3. insomniac321123 thread starter macrumors 6502

That is a good idea, but space is a premium. This is for a college dorm room, so if I could get an all in one, it would help tremendously.

4. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I'd go with a Canon. I have had HP 2110, 2210 and a friend had a Canon. Now that's what I have and won't go back. You can get some good deals as Canon has one on sale right now around the $100 range. Check out the Canon website, Amazon and a few others for price and info. The printer I have lets me stick in my SD card an transfer the photos to iPhoto without a hitch as well as great color photos (fast). Seperate ink tanks $11.10 on Amazon (for my printer) and that's a good price for good ink ;)
    Enjoy whatever one you choose :)

5. kyleaa macrumors regular

I've got an HP PSC1510 all-in-one that I got a month ago just because when I bought my imac, the printer was free after rebate. It's a decent little machine, I try to shy away from it because I am wary of ink cartridge prices. I bought a Brother HL-1540 b/w laser 2 years ago for $130, and I think its the best deal I've ever gotten on a printer. I have printed hundreds of pages for college and I am still on the starter cartridge it shipped with. I'm going into my third year of college, and I have never had any problem finding a friend with an all-in-one for the rare occasion that I actually needed to scan/copy something. As far as speed and pricing, I would definitely recommend the laser.

When you're late to class it definitely comes in handy to have a printer that can print 8 pages razor-sharp in under a minute :). If you're bent on an All-In-One, I would just stay with something on the cheaper side (<100)