Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

simontarr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
England
I've just brought a new Epson Stylus DX4050 printer. But...I can't actually print anything. I followed the instructions to the letter, installing the drivers from disc first before hooking it up via USB2 to my iMac. I thought Macs had almost every printer driver under the sun pre-installed so that it should 'just work' so I was a bit suprised to find out it doesn't!

What I find curious is this...If I go into 'Print & Fax' in System Preferences, my printer looks like this:

Name: Stylus DX4000
(The DX4000, DX4050 & CX3900 are all part of the same printer family)

Print Using: 'Please select a driver or printer model'

So, I select 'Please select a driver or printer model' to bring up the list of manufactuers and there is EPSON. Great, I thought. So I clicked on that and tried to find my model number but alas...neither the DX4000, DX4050 or CX3900 are in the list.

I then went to the Epson site thinking there may be new drivers to download, and there was one that was released only a week or two back. So I downloaded and installed that. I was told that it installed sucessfully, but still I can't print. All my applications print options look like this (see first attachement)

If I try and 'Add Printer...' I end up back at this screen again where I started (see second attachment)

Any help getting this working would be really appreciated because I'm pretty stumped.

Thanks

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 41
  • Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 45

gameguy3001

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2007
Saskatoon, SK
Erase and Install fixes all... LOL just kidding

Try repairing disk permissions using disk utility and see if that helps. You could also try opening up Printer Setup Utility and click on Printer Setup Utility (beside the ?) and choose reset printing system. If that doesn't help, you could remove the printing preference files, I don't remember them off hand but I could look the up if you have to get that far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.