Printer won't work with my new Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dr_fate, Nov 16, 2006.

1. dr_fate macrumors member

Oct 18, 2003
    I finally got a Mac (first one) and it's great, except my printer won't work with it. It's the 2 ghz 1gb RAM white macbook and the printer is a 6 year old HP Deskjet 648c. I can print test documents, but whenever I try and print something from safari or another program it always says "Jobs Stopped". I try to start them again, but it never works. I downloaded the latest drivers for it already. Please help... this is driving me nuts.
  2. clairejr macrumors newbie

Mar 10, 2005

Congratulations on getting your first Mac. I'm sure you'll love it.

I'm using an HP Deskjet 5550 and lately I've been having the same problem. In my case, I think it may be connected to the USB cable (just changed it and the problem seems to have disappeared). Try turning the printer off and then on again. If that corrects the problem, I'd suggest changing the cable. HP printers can be fussy with cables and connections so make sure it's connected to a powered hub or directly to the computer and use a good quality cable (like Belkin).

You don't need the driver from HP - Mac OS X 10.4 includes built-in drivers for many printers, including yours (I checked for you). If the cable solution doesn't work, remove the HP driver and remove your printer from the Printer Setup Utility (Applications --> Utilities). Then add the printer and select HP from the drop-down menu next to Print Using in the dialog box that will open after you add your printer. Go down the list until you see HP Deskjet 600/600C - select that profile.

Hopefully one of those two solutions will work. If they don't, post back.

3. dr_fate thread starter macrumors member

Oct 18, 2003
    Thank you, Claire, for taking the time to help me out. :)

Turning it on and off and fooling around with the cable a bit did not make a difference.

I deleted the drivers and the printer, but when I try and re-add it I get an error 9672.
  4. mklos macrumors 68000

Dec 4, 2002
    My house!
    Do you have an oversized cable? Meaning is it beyond the standard 6ft cable? If so, then they may be your problem as well. I would also try a different cable.