Printers For School

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Eleven, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Eleven macrumors newbie

So I'm heading off to college in Sept (Alberta), just recently got my PB and 3G ipod, and i love em, however my old printer isn't USB compatible so I'm thinking of getting a new one, seems like you guys were on the money with u're apple recommendations so I was wondering if you could suggest to me a printer. Colour would be nice, cheap cartriges would be nice too (how much are these usually? I've been using an old HP Laser...). I'm looking at something thats about ~90-150 Canadian. And since I am Canadian I've could get any of those "bundle printers".

What do you guys use?
    Whats good?

Thanks,

2. Nspace macrumors regular

I use a Canon i960, I love it. I got it because i needed a printer for school but as well to print my photos and digital artwork for my portfolio.

It is a little out of the price range, but I would definately look consider a canon printer. I really like their Think Tank system. If one colour runs you you just replace it, no having to spend alot of money on one colour cartidge.

If your looking for something to print photos I would suggest the i950, it just fits in your 150 CAD range. I attached a photo of the think tanks.

If your looking for a multi function the two names that come to mind are HP and Lexmark. My friend uses an HP 1315 and she really likes hers.

Attached Files:

3. Eleven thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh yeah... i'm also going into sciences (pre med) so i probably won't need anything to print too many photos...

edit: I noticed that HP had some printer/scanner combos...are they any good?

4. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

Dont go for a photo printer if you dont need one, you can alwas burn your pics on a cd and print then in photo printing place.

I found HP 450Ci Mobile DeskJet Printer that you might like, this is a ultra portable printer. If you want to save more money then i think you should buy a thumb drive and print your work in the college insted of buying a printer your self.

5. plus_c macrumors member

This advice is dead-on. Even if the university charges 5-10 cents per page, it's still less expensive than the per-page cost of your inkjet printer, especially if you count the initial cost of the printer itself. True, the computer lab isn't all that convenient, but if you're going for maximum cost savings, it's the way to go.

The other alternative is to find some reliable friends (or roommates) to split costs on a laser printer with you. There are some incredible deals on low-end laser printers nowadays...

6. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I got a free printer with my new PB. It was the 90$ HP. Good enough for school. You just have to supply the usb cable.

7. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

I use an ancient HP Deskjet 882C.... It is the best printer I ever used :p

8. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

BTW how large do you want the printer? do you want a portble one that you can carry with you or are you going to keep it in the room?

9. HardHatMac9 macrumors regular

Advice from a former pre-med...

I would suggest you get a low-end HP Laserjet Printer. (A Laser Printer). There are some really good deals out there right not on Amazon.com. Search for the Laserjet 1012.

You'll be doing a lot of printing, articles, and papers for your classes. The laserjets are reliable, don't run out of ink (they use toner) really fast like ink jets, are not as noisy, are fast, and the print is a lot crisper.

They only print Black and White, however, but I think if you're going to print pictures, use a service like ofoto or shutterfly.

Hope that helps.

10. Eleven thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm the printer size isn't really a big deal it'll just be sitting in my dorm room (single too, so Im assuming its a bit spacious...) I noticed some inkjet/scanner combo ones (HP) at futureshop...are they any good?

Laserjet would also be an option...though its too bad I can't bring my old Laserjet 6L...or is there a way I can hook it up to my powerbook? No parallel ports...

Thanks,

11. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

I own an HP Officejet 7130, i use it as my printer, scanner, i copy stuff and get my faxes. It works great that i even use on in my office. There are modles that comes without a fax witch are cheaper that you might want to take a look at.

I think you should invest in a good printer, if you get an all in one modle you will save since you would not have to get another device. I will be using this printer for 2-3 years and the investment i made was good.

12. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

I like the idea of the Flashdrive. However I can understand why its nice to have your own...I do (even though it's an ancient Windows Printers...whatever it was free).

My parents have an HP PSC 1530 All-In-one, and I love it. It's small, its fast, and not to bad. It runs for about 130 American...I think?

Here's the little guy.

Like I said I love it. I personally think HP shines when it comes to printers/scanners/etc.

Mike

BTW: It's a USB.