printers, print quality

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dale.albiston, Jan 16, 2007.

1. dale.albiston macrumors member

question:

how does one select the print quality? e.g. 'draft/final' etc.

thinking generally, but also in relation to the epson rx640 printer/scanner combo, at present it wants to burn stupid amounts of ink and the result is readable from both sides of the paper.

also how hard is it to have multiple drivers for the same printer (a common windows trick, allows 'rx640 draft' & 'rx640 photo' as seperate printers, different default settings etc.

Away from my macbook pro atm, and no internet access for it...:-( so can't try to much out.

All i can find in the supplied driver is a setting for paper type, what i'm looking for is something to control the print resolution & quality, specifically to reduce the amount of ink fired at the page.

2. clairejr macrumors newbie

1. Select Print... from the File menu in any application. Click the button that says Copies & Pages (under "Presets").

2. A drop-down menu will appear. Select Paper Type/Quality.

3. A new pane will open and you can set the paper type and quality and color options.

If you want to save the configuration you've set, click the button next to Presets on the Print... pane (Step 1) and select Save from the drop-down menu. Your new configuration will be added to the Presets menu and you can select it anytime you want to print using those settings You don't need separate print drivers with Mac OS X - just different configurations that you set and save. For example, I have a "Plain text" setting for all draft documents, a different setting for color documents and another setting for 4x6" photos.

Hope that helps.

Claire

3. dale.albiston thread starter macrumors member

ta for the reply, that option is where i expected things to be, but all i can do is set the paper size and type, all the quality related tabs result in a notice that the driver is not compatible with this version of osx (10.4)...

i've found an updated driver for the rx640 (v3.0a vs 2.8) which will hopefully sort this out...

the tip on presets is pure gold, this is how this should be done.. not by installing the driver several times :)

4. dale.albiston thread starter macrumors member

yup driver update sorted it.

how long has 10.4 shipped for? given the drivers for a new printer don't work with it....

ho hum