Printers under $300?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by djtet, Nov 4, 2003.

1. djtet macrumors regular

Apr 7, 2003
    Charleston, SC
    I was curious to see any recommendations for a printer under $300. I would like it for printing photos every once in a while (not all the time)...and every normal day printing. Doesn't have to be too fast, but don't want a turtle...
    any suggestions?
  2. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

Jul 9, 2003
    i just got the HP photosmart 7660
    the photos it produces are excellent, text printing is pretty quick
    it's 150 at best buy so it's definately within your price range
    one minus the ink is fairly expensive-even online or generic catridges
  3. pinto32 macrumors 6502

Oct 19, 2003
    I have an HP deskjet 3420...nice and compact, and good quality. Only problem is the ink....a little on the expensice side. As expensive ink seems to be a trend with most HPs now, I'd say to check out the Epson C60, or similar printers...supossedly they have good quality with very cheap ink prices (printer itself is also pretty cheap).
  4. filmmaker2002 macrumors regular

Jun 6, 2003
    Canon has the best photo printers out there and the least expensive ink. Check out the i960, the i560, and the i860. GREAT printers with the best photo quality out there. They print the fastest too. The 960 prints 4x6s in 30 seconds and 8x10s in under a minute..
  5. theipodgod16 macrumors 6502

Aug 10, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    i have a canon i850 and an epson photo 820. the canon blows the epson out of the water. its much faster, quieter, better looking, and it has individual ink tanks for each color. Best of all, its about $150
  6. Dippo macrumors 65816

Sep 27, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Get a CANON.

The print quality is great with most photo printers, and Canon is no exception.

BUT when time rolls around for buying more ink, you will be glad you have a Canon!

JUST DON'T GET A LEXMARK. The printers are like $50 and the ink refill is like $60... Heck, just buy a new printer everytime and save some money!
  7. maelstromr macrumors 6502

Aug 8, 2002
    Charlottesville, VA
    Epson Fan

I have an epson 925 and love it. Excellent quality, good speed, and very quiet. It's also designed nicely...

It has card readers if you use that function. Epson is great about their products as well. It's a bit more expensive than some of the other recomended here, but well in your range. There are usually good rebates too.
  8. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2003
    Home of Al-Qaida
    Mid to high end Canon printers use individual ink tanks = massive saving. I've only purchased Canon bubblejet printers and HP LaserJet. HP inkjets tend to loose color and gives you faded prints over time.

Another vote for Canon.
  9. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    For its price ($99), I liked the HP DeskJet 5550 that I bought. In fact, I bought a second one!
  10. jywv8 macrumors 6502

Jan 11, 2003
    Epson C82

I have an Epson C82. I love it -- large, individual ink tanks with Dura-Brite inks. It is an older model...I think they are now on C84 or something.
  11. Datazoid macrumors regular

May 10, 2002
    I have an Epson Stylus Photo 820 and absolutely HATE the thing...I have had nothing but problems with it. Sure, the photos it prints are relatively nice, but only after wasting a quarter of the ink each time for cleaning the heads, in addition to the fact that it is dog slow for text. You cannot use "generic" inks without major hassle (regardless of what they say, it is very difficult to get a "generic" cartridge to work). I got the printer for free (after rebate) with my iMac, and it wasn't worth even that....I don't know what to recommend, but Epson isn't least, not on the low end...
  12. charmie1701 macrumors newbie

Nov 13, 2003
    London, UK
    Hey Guys, I'm new to this forum and am iinterested in your opinions of printers.
    I have just bought a new G5 and am wondering which would be the best printer to get. I am new to Macs having bought PCs for the past 8 years have decided to switch.

I was thinking of getting one of those All-in-One multifunction printers, as I have little space but need a scanner and printer (though not a fax) for a lot of web work that I do.

I was considering either a HP or Epson but after reading your posts will look into Canons instead.

My choices were:
    Epson CX6400
    Epson RX500
    HP 6110
    HP 2210

What would you recommend...?
    A seperate printer and scanner or stick with the All-in-one...?
    Also what would be the best....?
    What Canon models would be best...?

I have £250 and want to get the best for my money.

Please help, thank you
  13. maelstromr macrumors 6502

Aug 8, 2002
    Charlottesville, VA
    I would get a nice printer and a seperate scanner if desk space isn't a huge issue. You'll be able to get a much better quality printer, and scanners in general are fairly even...depending on what you're doing with it. I LOVE my canon extra thin scanner, and I LOVE my espon 925 photo. I would shell out the majority of your doughon the printer...scanners are fairly standard and should break $100...
  14. caveman_uk Guest

Feb 17, 2003
    Hitchin, Herts, UK
  15. charmie1701 macrumors newbie

Nov 13, 2003
    London, UK
    Thanks for the replies, but I am still none the wiser.
    I have quite limited space so am leaning towards a multi-function printer.

Any advice as to the best one....?
  16. rueyeet macrumors 65816

Jun 10, 2003
    I have to say that I've always bought Canon, and always been very satisfied.

I have an additional question: Does anyone know if there are other printers besides that Epson one that will print directly on CD's and DVD's? That'd be a help to print the tracks on music CDs I burn. Inkjet only--I want to make t-shirts too.

I think I'll be buying a printer after Christmas, if I get Photoshop Elements as I've requested, so this would be one of the features I'd want.
  17. iShater macrumors 604

Aug 13, 2002
    Have you or anybody you know used the i560? C|net gives it a really good review, and the price is cheap especially with rebates. Oh, and the ink is much cheaper than other printers.

I need a printer for my iBook, right now I have to transfer files to my PC in order to print, couldn't get my old printer to work across the LAN with OSX.

18. djtet thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 7, 2003
    Charleston, SC
    still unsure...

Thanks for all of your advise...My dad has a HP 7550 and loves it. I've seen the quality and it is great! However, I'm leaning towards the canon i950...I'll let you all know what I decide!