Printers?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by krossfyter, Feb 7, 2002.

1. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

hell you all have been so helpful recently I feel all warm inside...

okay so from your expierence whats the best kind/brand/type of printer one can buy thats both mac and pc compatible (usb) and isnt price to high...

like the 100 to 200 range?

2. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

EPSON Stylus Photo 820
    $149.00

2880 x 720 dpi
    BorderFree™ Printing
    6 Color Photo Quality

I guess this is the US equivalent to the japanese Epson printer I have in mind... I would chose something more, but within the 100~200 range... this would be the best.

Well its just MY opinion...

irmongoose

3. resm macrumors 6502

Printers

that depends on what are you using your printer mostly for.

I use mine more for printout of photos/design and right now I use an Epson Stylus PHOTO 790 that can print edge to edge, absolute no white borders.
    The printing quality is absolute fantastic and as good as pics you send for developing but the consumption of Ink is accordingly high.
    When it comes to printing of text it's acceptable but if you need perfection then thats not what you need.
    Now, Epson has come out with new models since the 790 and I think there is now even one with individual Ink cartridges. That would eliminate trowing away unused Ink as it happends with the combined cartridges.

When it comes to price I don't know what it would cost you where you are living but printers today have become very cheap so it should be within your budget.

4. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

I am in the same positiion. Is the epsons C60 printer and good + is it mac osx compatible? I dont want to be going into classic all the time to print like I have to scan!! The only thing I will use it for is text documents.

Cheers

5. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

C60

The C60 is just fine for normal text print outs... but the bad thing is.. no OS X driver...

==============================================
    Software Driver Windows USB: Windows 98, Me, 2000/XP, Macintosh USB: Macintosh System 8.5.1 to 9.1, Windows Parallel: Windows 95/98/Me/2000/XP
    ==============================================

So... i guess not.

irmongoose

6. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Are there any of epsons printers (low end) that are compatible? I dont believe there are?

7. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

i'm using an epson 680 with osx. Works just fine. I don't specifically remember installing any drivers for it, just plugged in and printed.

8. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: C60

Epson does have OS X drivers for the C60 and C80. Just go to the drivers and download section of their web site, select injet printers, then either C60, C80, or any other printer. The OS X drivers are at the bottom of the page.

"Printer Driver v.1.1aS
    Macintosh OS X (10.0 - 10.1)
    epson10055.sea.hqx - 3.3 MB - posted on 10/22/01
    This installer will place a folder on your desktop labeled "epson10055." Open the folder and the .dmg file inside. A disk image with the printer name will be created on your desktop. Open the disk image and the installer.pkg file inside to install the printer driver. "

I have been using my C80 and love it. Before that I have an 880 which I gave to my mother for the hellofit. My sister borrowed it to print out her xmas cards/mailers this year and was surprised at the speed and quality of the older printer. I also printed one out on mine, and it looked excellent. I particularly like the individual ink cartridges with the memory chip that the C80 uses (believe the C60 uses those as well). This allows you to get more from each one, since you don't have to change all of the colors if only one of them has run out.

9. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

is that epson mac and pc compatible?

what do you all think of the lexmark z53?

are there any laser printers within the 100 to 300 range?

10. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Epson all the way

Epson is the best all around. Much deeper blacks than any other printer.
    they should have one for 200 with a 50 rebate

11. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

The Epson printers work with both Mac and peecee systems. They have BOTH USB and parallel connections on them. Many of them can also have an external print server added so that you can put them onto a network.

12. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

anyone got an idea how the lexmark z25 stacks up against these epson printers?

which epson printer from the 100 to 200 range is the best?

13. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I know from family that the Epson 880 blows the doors off of a Lexmark Z32. The Epson C80 is even better then the 880. Both Epson printers are under $200 brand spankin new.

I have the C80 across the room from me right now, when it is not printing, it sits 100% silent. Even when it is printing the noise level is more then acceptable. If you use good paper, as in made for Inkjet printers, (I use Hammermill paper here) you will get very nice prints. If you need to print out photo's, then use the photo paper and you will be pleased. The C80 uses ink that is rated to last approx. 70 years (I believe) and is water proof/resistant. I can attest to that, since I spilled some water on a print, and the ink went no place at all.

Oh, and the print time on both the 880 and the C80 is about 2x faster then the Lexmark.

14. crush7 macrumors newbie

Printers

hi there,

you might want to consider the cost of ink cartridges, when you buy a printer. If this is an issue AND you don't need colour prints too often, I suggest you buy a Brother HL1440 laser model.
    Why?

It work really well (Yes there are devices out there that work only sometimes!)
    OSX drivers are available
    print quality is good
    you can use almost any type of paper
    I have so far not succeeded in using up the toner cartridge. It lasts long.

Of course, the thing is more expensive than 100-200.

Bye

Lars

15. Choppaface macrumors 65816

I've got a photo 2000P but something tells me its probably not in that price range (I got it for my birthday so I dunno)

its great though...ya the epsons are really marvelous

my dad has practically converted to digital thanks to its quality

might not be using it for much longer though....now we're thinking of getting a fuji pictograph :D :D

16. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

If a printer is connected to an OS X machine on a network, is it possible to print to that printer from other machines on the network running OS 9 and OS X? And dare I ask, Windows?

17. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

hey umm alpha tech?...

hows the c40 stylus epson printer? how does it compare with the lexmark z53?

18. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I don't know about the C40, since I haven't used one of those. I believe that all the C series printers are very close to each other. Check Epson's web site for the complete spec's and compare the three.

I didn't even consider the C40 or C60 when I was looking to get a new printer. I almost always go high end in just about everything. That is why I buy Mac systems to begin with.

19. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

When I got my iMac new the spring of 2000 I got a rebate for a free Hewlett Packard deskjet 842c and for a freebie it has been an excellent printer. It seems a lot quieter then my sisters Epson and just about as fast. I am not saying HP is the best...but I think it is a good alternative to Epson and Lexmark for the price. I think the 900 series HP printers are under $200 now and they are better then the 800 series. When I put OSX on my system I just had to plug the printer into the USB and there it was...just as simple as that, works the same on my iBook.

20. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Epson, and Apple, both have the drivers for most printers for both OS 9.x and 10.1.x now. I just plug in the C80 (via USB for now) to my TiBook and go and print. I was a little disappointed that Epson didn't have the drivers ready immediately, but I believe that they got the OS X 10.1 build a little late. They did work pretty hard to get the drivers out, and they work really well. I haven't had any problems using the C80 under either OS 9.x or 10.1.x. I have been considering getting the external ethernet print server, but need to contact Epson to make sure that once it is set up, I will be able to print that way from withing OS X. They don't have the configuration utility for OS X, but they do for 9.x (as well as window$).

I don't really have a burning need to get the external print server at this point, since I have a buyer for my G4 tower. Once I get the replacement tower (after MWNY), then I will decide about that item. I hope by then, that Epson also has the wireless print server available for sale as a seperate item (would make my C80 into the C80WN model). I just need to decide which I would use more, the wired or wireless part. There is the benefit of being anywhere with the wireless, but then again, I have the airport base station that can act as the bridge (also have a network switch to plug everything else into).

Decisions, decisions, decisions.... :D