Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
Original poster
May 2, 2005
I get headaches. A lot.
I track them in iCal, figuring I can just print out a list of when I get them and for how long.

I have a calendar in iCal labeled "headaches"
I go to print, select list, tell it to start at june 2005 and continue through today. Wwhen I tell it to print, it prints out EVERY SINGLE DAY, not just the days that have headaches.

Is there any way to make iCal print ONLY the days that I have headaches?

This problem is really causing another. :p

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
katie ta achoo said:
I get headaches. A lot.
I track them in iCal, figuring I can just print out a list of when I get them and for how long.

I have a calendar in iCal labeled "headaches"
I go to print, select list, tell it to start at june 2005 and continue through today. Wwhen I tell it to print, it prints out EVERY SINGLE DAY, not just the days that have headaches.

Is there any way to make iCal print ONLY the days that I have headaches?

This problem is really causing another. :p
Would you mind looking in /Users/[KT]/Library/Application Support/iCal/Sources?

There should be one or more folders in there (one for each of your calendars), each of which will contain a "corestorage.ics" file. If you can figure out which one is the headache calendar (open the info.plist file inside each of those folders with TextEdit, and you'll see the calendar name), let me know, and we'll go from there.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
Original poster
May 2, 2005
Found it! :D

(and a preemptive thank you because I know this is going to solve my problem exactly :))

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
katie ta achoo said:
Found it! :D

(and a preemptive thank you because I know this is going to solve my problem exactly :))
Sorry for the delay (drove home). Now, do you just want a list of the days you had headaches? Days and times? What?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
OK, sorry, but I had mucho real work to do.

For now, to see if I'm on the right track, I need you to be a geek and do the following:

• Download http://formymac.com/MR/CalReader.java and place it in some folder somewhere.
  • Open Terminal.
  • In Terminal, type
    Code:
    cd
    (space after the 'cd') and drag the folder with the file onto Terminal, so you'll get something like this:
    Code:
    cd /Users/kt/Desktop/JoeJunk/
  • Now press 'return' to change to that directory.
  • Now type (or cut and paste)
    Code:
    javac CalReader.java; java -classpath . CalReader
    and press 'return'.
  • You should now see all of your calendars and all of their items. It's a simple text format, but I want to know if it works for you.

Let me know if these steps work - I'm off to bed soon, so I'll check in the AM!

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
Original poster
May 2, 2005
jsw said:
OK, sorry, but I had mucho real work to do.

For now, to see if I'm on the right track, I need you to be a geek and do the following:
*snip*
Let me know if these steps work - I'm off to bed soon, so I'll check in the AM!

it worked, but the items are in a slightly wonky order, but I can just fix that myself. :D

THANK YOU!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
katie ta achoo said:
it worked, but the items are in a slightly wonky order, but I can just fix that myself. :D

THANK YOU!
OK, but I'd be happy to make it better - I just wanted to make sure it read everything OK. The output format was terrible!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
A much better version is there now (exact same instructions as above).

Events are sorted by time. I can reformat it any way you want, now that the mechanism is in place to do so (start and end times, event name, duration, etc.).

Enjoy....

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
Original poster
May 2, 2005
Wow! That's so much better! I'm glad I didn't squander my time rearranging all the entries (instead I squandered it making waffles. :))

thanks again! :D

Fullboat2

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2008
Thanks!

A much better version is there now (exact same instructions as above).

Events are sorted by time. I can reformat it any way you want, now that the mechanism is in place to do so (start and end times, event name, duration, etc.).

Enjoy....

I just googled and found this method you put together. Two years later it still works! Thanks for the help

ronnythefiddle

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2010
London
Does it still work!?

Hi all,

I have tried to find the /Users/[ME]/Library/Application Support/iCal/Sources folder but it doesn't seem to be there.

Is there a way I can make this work in iCal 3 (Leopard)?

I find it odd that Apple are concentrating hard on improving their green credentials in a hardware sense but still insist on making us print every day of our calendars!

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.