printing DVD covers

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RJP31484, Jul 21, 2005.

1. RJP31484 macrumors regular

I have consolidated my dvd's into one big disk album. I would like to put a printout of the front of the dvd jacket in each dvd pocket. I have downloaded all of the fronts from amazon.com. My problem is this, I want to consolidate 4 to a page, and make them kind of square so they will A)fit on a page with three others and B)fit in the dvd pocket. A friend of mine has photoshop and illustrator on his powerbook that would be available to me. What is the quickest way for me to do this? can I use automator to make my life easier? help!

2. RJP31484 thread starter macrumors regular

anyone? I would also like to have the height of each image to me the diameter of a dvd.

(BUMPETTY!)

3. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Photoshop will allow you to do it, but doing anything automatically won;t yeild great results. The problem is that the computer won't know what portions you want to keep. It will just keep from wherever you indicate to start from (e.g. top left corner) and throw away the rest. What if title gets cut off or removed because its at the bottom. The best thing would be to do it manually. Once you get them cropped you could probbaly rig up some sort of automator action to combine them onto a page or something.

4. RJP31484 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply! Well, what I was thinking about doing was adjusting the height to be the diameter of a dvd(so it would fit in the pocket), and then rescaling the width automatically. I would have rectangular images, but they would fit in the pocket. The problem is.. I have pretty much NO experience with photoshop. I think I can handle resizing them individually, but how can I get them to all print out on the same page? (also, I CAN just input the height in inches I want the image to be correct?)

5. RJP31484 thread starter macrumors regular

6. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

I'm assuming you're using Photoshop?

If you are trying to resize 4 images and combine them into one large picture:

The easiest way (IMO) would be to take your first image and resize it how you want. After it's resized, select Image --> Canvas Size. There will be options for Width and Height. Go to where it says Inches and change the selection to percent. Then choose 200 for both height and width. Next to where it says Anchor click on the upper left square. This will tell the program in double the height and width of your overall image starting from the top left corner (which is where your first picture is) without changing the image that is already there (essentially you're adding whitespace).

Next, open the second image (leaving the first open) and resize it as well. Select all (Command-A) and copy. Then paste it into your first image and drag it into place next to the first picture. Repeat for the third and fourth images.

When you are done, go to Layer --> Flatten image. Now you can save as a .jpg (when you paste in each picture, each goes into its own layer, which greatly increases the file size. Jpg files can't have layers)

I hope this makes sense. If you have any more questions, let me know. Good luck!

7. RJP31484 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you so much! sorry I wasnt able to reply earlier... but ive been busy with preperations for moving. I am not at my home computer right now, but I will try this tonight. When you say to resize the first image... can I just input the height in inches that I want have have the width resized automatically to keep the same ratio? Also, instead of stretching the canvas size to twice the width and height, wouldnt it be a better idea to stretch it to be 8.5" X 11", and see how many I can fit on one printed page? If I make an image, say, 3"X5", when I print it out, will it be exactly 3"X5" ON PAPER?

8. king_leonidas macrumors member

king_leonidas

The best program to print dvd cover is discus.I use this about 3 years.
    Download the demo first and take a look:http://www.magicmouse.com