Printing error?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacFan26, Jan 14, 2006.

1. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

I'm at a loss at how to fix this one, [​IMG] It does the same thing regardless of what printer I'm hooked up to, or if there's even one plugged in. It doesn't do anything if I reinstall drivers or anything. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. law guy macrumors 6502a

law guy

What are your page setup settings defaults? I had mine set to a 4 x 6 photo paper as a default and I was having errors when I tried to print a regular text page.

3. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

4. angelneo macrumors 68000

Could it be something wrong with the document? How about saving to PDF through the print dialog? Does that work?

5. MacFan26 thread starter macrumors 65816

MacFan26

My page setup is correct, just normal "format for any printer" and US Letter paper. Changing it to format for a specific printer didn't change anything either.

Nope, not network printers. The two I used were both just connected directly to my computer.

And saving to PDF works just fine. But this "Printing Error" box comes up in every document.

:confused: :(

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

What does Printer Setup Utility (10.3.x) or Tiger's equivalent tell you about your printers? Everything OK there?

7. MacFan26 thread starter macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Everything's okay there, it doesn't report any errors, the print queues are turned on. I already reinstalled drivers...so I'm pretty sure the problem is not with the actual printer.

8. law guy macrumors 6502a

law guy

I note from the screen shot that you were printing from Safari. Can you print from a word document or a .pdf? To review the bidding, you've confirmed for B.V. that your printers are showing up in the printer utility (assume that you've removed the printers from your list and then re-added them), so your mac knows where they are and your page settings are fine, and the printers are directly connected to your computer by USB (my assumption)? or directly via ethernet? If you can print from other programs, that will at least narrow it a bit.

Aside to digress - nice homepage. I grew up (age 2.something to 10) in Phoenix in the 7200 cul de sac block of north 29th drive. Used to melt crayons in the driveway in the summer, watched the local Wallace and Ladmo TV show... .

9. MacFan26 thread starter macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Nope, I can't print from any other application, not Preview, Word, anything. It doesn't even get to the point where it opens up the print utility, that window just pops up no matter what the settings are... Yeah, they were directly connected through USB.

And thanks for your note about my homepage, lol, melting crayons eh? :)

10. MacFan26 thread starter macrumors 65816

MacFan26

I did manage to fix this. If anyone's curious or looking later, what I did was change the permissions on the /tmp folder. It's user was set to "apple" and it needed to be my account, or admin. Ha, one case where changing the permissions to something actually did something useful!

11. ilgato macrumors newbie

Error saving as pdf

Hello,

I am facing a similar problem: I can print on my printer (MacBook connected by wifi to my Time Capsule and printer connected by USB to my Time Capsule) from any application BUT I CANNOT print any pdf file. I am getting the same error message "error while printing". In order to report my problem, I tried to use Grab, and I have the same message: "An error occurred while trying to save the grabbed image to: /Users/Eric/Documents/Photo/essai.tiff". I suspect that this is related to the same issue.

Since you eventually fixed your problem, could you let me know in details how you did?
    I tried to locate the file /tmp on my HD, but i did not find any file with that name.

Thanks in advance

MacBook Alu 2.4GHz with MacOX 10.5.5 & Safari 3.2