Printing from a mac on a PC network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kitki83, Sep 21, 2006.

1. kitki83 macrumors 6502a

I work in a company thats PC only Iam the only designer in this floor. The problem is I always want to do prints for varios reasons but I cannot. Can someone get the apple computer to recognize the printers on the network? I tried to scan them but I get some printers that i dont even know where the are coming from. My question is what steps do I need to take to get my Apple computer to recognize the Printers and what do i need to ask the IT people so i can figure this out.

Certain problems is IT wont deal with my apple will though give me all the info I may need. Printer is Dell 5200 Laser printer. I do see PC network folders and whatnot but i dont know what they are sincce they are all empty.

Thanks for the help.

2. 4np macrumors 6502a

4np

I have a PB and a USB printer on a Windows Millenium pc. This printer is shared on the network.

I was unable to install this printer properly on my PB but there is a 'hidden' feature...

Go to 'System preferences', 'Print & Fax' and press '+' to add a new network printer.

In the new window hold the 'Alt' button and press 'More printers...'. In the pulldown box you can now select 'Advanced' which normally was not present.

Selecting 'Windows printer via SAMBA' allows you to manually configure the remote printer.

Good luck :)

3. kitki83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok i got the

IP address and \\lax-psol\dell5100cn et.
    Which all the pc models shows in printer options

Does that help? if anyone can out my stuff together

@post above Thanks but this is like IP network since i work in a bing company

4. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

You know the model number of the printer; the only other thing you should need to know is its IP address. From there it should be pretty simple to connect.

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, according to my experience, some printer/copier will not work, the network copier of my dept doesn't have a driver for OS 10.4.7 yet.
    Yeah, you might need to install a driver for some network printer, no just find the address.

6. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

From my experience you simply need to know 2 pieces of information about your printer:

1. The printer's make and model
    2. The printer's IP address or assigned DNS name

The first item can be found from looking at the printer itself and you may need your IT department to provide the IP address/DNS name (my company handily puts a label with this information on the printer itself).

Once you have both items of information you are generally recommended to take a trip to the manufacturer's website and see if they have an OS X printer driver for your model of printer. OS X itself ships with quite a few drivers already but not all and I prefer to ensure that I have the latest version. If you were able to find a driver for the printer then install it and you are ready for the next step.

To install a printer when you know the IP address/DNS name, open System Preferences > Print & Fax and select the + icon in the Printing tab to add a new printer. In the Printer Browser that appears ensure that IP Printer is displayed as an icon at the top of the window - if it does not exist, select it from the list of protocols displayed when you select the "More Printers" button at the bottom of the window. Select the "IP Printer" icon and enter your printer's IP address/DNS name in the "Address" field of the dialog and OS X should immediately validate the address as being valid. Finally, select your printer driver from the "Print Using" list, provide a recognisable "Name" and "Location" that will help you identify what you are printing to, and select "Add".

That should do the trick for you. If you can't find a driver for your printer then all is not lost since you can also use some open source printing software to print, or even just try drivers from other manufacturers (HP printer drivers are genarally good), but that's a new thread.