printing from an ibook to a windows printer

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by keithpetey, Nov 30, 2004.

1. keithpetey macrumors member

i recently bought an ibook and have been pretty good at getting it setup so far, but i cant seem to get it to be able to print to my pc printer. i have the network set up so i can share files between my mac and pc but the printer doesnt show up in the box.

i am going to system preferences
    to print and fax
    to set up printers
    the first box is windows printing
    then the second one is to workgroup
    then to my pc
    it asks for my user name and password so i enter it.
    but no printer shows up.

i have it shared under windows xp and have no problem printing to it from another networked windows pc. once again i am able to also share files between my mac and pc so that is not the problem.

i am using windows xp with service pack 2
    a linksys befw11s4 wireless router
    an ibook with os x 10.3.6
    and a hp deskjet 940c

please help cuz im all out of ideas.

thanks in advance,
    keith

2. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

You could try this. It's for Jaguar, but it'll probably work in a similar way in Panther.

3. keithpetey thread starter macrumors member

it finally works!!!, but....

ok i finally got it working. i tried your method but it didnt work. i might have done something wrong though. i went to macwindows.com and they have an answer to the problem under nov. 29, using windows printing with samba. so it works now. the only problem i have is that for some reason it will only print in normal mode. i cant get it to print in econofast even though that is the way i have it set up in my windows preferences for both user and network printing. does os x 10.3.6 have something where i can change this? something in samba? cuz im still not too sure what samba even is. also i installed my 940c drivers onto this computer but i dont know where it put them. i am still having it use the hp deskjet 900 series drivers instead. if anyone else has the same problem with it not printing check out that macwindows site, it helped me.

4. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

Generally, when you start using samba, you lose all remote control of the printer - basically, I dont think it's possible to use the printer drivers on a networked printer..

Well, I haven't been able to get this working with an HP Driver set, but it works with epson.

Maybe a fresh installation of the HP drivers?

/asif