Printing from Classic

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Mala, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Mala macrumors 6502

I'm doing a job in Quark, but can't print the pages, because my printer isn't installed in Classic.

Went to the Chooser and selected LaserWriter 8 (which will usually suffice to get my printer, HP Laserjet 1200, working), but it said it wanted AppleTalk active, and to go to Network Preferences and turn it on. My attempts to do this failed.

Anyone know a workaround?

2. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

Print or save to a postscript file, then open the .ps file using Preview; it should convert to PDF and allow you to print in OSX.

Lemme know if this works for you.

3. Mala thread starter macrumors 6502

4. jhmccoy macrumors newbie

preview

Preview is a small program in Mac OSX that reads PDF files.

5. Mala thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah, thanks; it sounds like a kind of long-winded way to have to go about printing, but if that's what I have to do, I supppose there's no choice.

6. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

It's actually an excellent way to soft-proof postscript files that contain eps graphics, on any standard inkjet printer.

Also, my service bureau recommends that color separations be printed to ps file, converted to pdf and printed out as soft-proofs.
    This will usually catch any postscript errors before they occur on the imagesetter.

7. Mala thread starter macrumors 6502

Soft-proofs?

I did a job this week and it appeared fine until I opened the PDF, when I got a message about too long an array; when I sent it to my bosses they couldn't open it.

Don't know what caused it, but I suspect a corrupt photo. Well, it was a photo of someone making poitin.

8. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

Postscript proofs printed through emulation are usually not reliable for judging color accuracy etc... so they are often called "soft-proofs".
    For high-end color work, a Press-Match proof is considered a more reliable method for proofing color seps, trapping, etc...

Soft proofs are a quick and inexpensive way to prove that a file will generate postscript without obvious errors, and that colors will separate correctly.
    My service bureau highly recommends it as a minimum proofing method for all film output.

9. Mala thread starter macrumors 6502

10. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

I can print from classic in quark...just install the actual drivers for your printer. Only problem it doesn't work for airport printing.

11. Mala thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry to be dim, but where do I find the drivers, and how do I install them? It's a HP 1200 laser printer.

12. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

13. Mala thread starter macrumors 6502

14. Mala thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh, wait, though; there are drivers for Mac OS X and Mac OS 9. Do I download the Mac Os 9 drivers? (The printer's working fine in Panther.) And they won't conflict, will they, the two lots of drivers?

15. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

Download the OS 9 drivers.

You won't have a conflict. The OS 9 drivers will only work in classic.

16. Mala thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, this is good; I'll try it. I suppose you don't know how to get the function keys to work, so i don't have to be mousing all the time, by any chance?

17. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

sorry...function keys? for use in quark?

nope..i'm actually not that good with quark..maybe someone else knows

i hope the printer works now though

18. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Re: Printing from Classic

You also have to make AppleTalk active in Classic. Turn on AppleTalk in the Chooser. If you didn't remove your MacOS 9 extensions, then the only driver you need, the LaserWriter 8 driver, should still be there. If you see its icon in the Chooser window, it is most certainly there. In your case, the LaserWriter 8 driver is intalled.

When you set-up your PostScript printer in the Chooser, you are selecting the proper PPD file. The PPD file gives you access to the Laserjet 1200's special features. However, your printer will work (less well) with a generic PPD file.

19. Mala thread starter macrumors 6502

AppleTalk says it can't be activated, and that I should go to Network Settings. I can't see AppleTalk in Network Settings in Panther, and there's no Network Settings to be found in the Classic mode. Help!

20. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

21. Mala thread starter macrumors 6502

Tried, but it doesn't work. It apparently sends the page, but then no signal goes to the printer - no blinky lights, no pages come out.

22. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Have you set-up your printer in the Printer Setup Utility? If you have not, set it up using AppleTalk. If that still doesn't work, go to Directory Access. Click on the Services tab. Check AppleTalk.

23. Mala thread starter macrumors 6502

MisterMe, read back. The problem is that I *can't* set up AppleTalk!

24. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Have you done what I asked you to do? So far, I see that you have tried to start AppleTalk only from the MacOS 9 Chooser and the MacOS X 10.3 Network preferences pane. Well, the Network preferences pane is not the place to start AppleTalk.

Now go back do what I told you to do. If it still doesn't work, then come back and explain step-by-step what you did and why didn't it work. If you can't find a way to do that, then move on and stop whining.

25. Mala thread starter macrumors 6502