Printing from Classic

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Nermal, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've got my printer (Epson Stylus CX3100) plugged into a Windows box, and I can print to it fine in Panther (it's configured as a Windows Printer in the Printer Setup Utility).

I'm trying to print from a Classic app, but when I try to print it tells me that I need to select a printer in the Chooser. I open Chooser and the only options are AppleShare and LaserWriter 8. What should I do in order to print to my shared Windows printer?

Edit, forgot to mention this:
    Since it's a shared printer, I tried selecting AppleShare. It asks me for the IP address of the server, so I put the Windows machine's IP address, but it says that there was no response from the server.

Oh, and I saw another thread where someone was having a similar problem. Somebody presented a workaround - print to a PostScript file, then open that in OS X using Preview. But I can't figure out how to print to PostScript either :(

2. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Use Desktop Printer Utility in Classic to set up a virtual printer. Select the virtual printer as your default printer. It will save your Classic print jobs as PostScript files.

4. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

OK, I'll try that when I get home.

5. Reanne macrumors newbie

Printing in Classic

Make sure you have a classic application running and then go to the chooser. Select your printer and the USB option should then appear. Worked for me.

6. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Thread revival! :eek:

I don't even have Classic anymore :rolleyes: