Printing from Vista to OS X 10.4.9

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sean7512, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Sean7512 macrumors 6502a

I have just upgraded my laptop to Windows Vista and I am beginning to get everything back onto the computer after a fresh install. I am now attempting to setting up the shared printers that I have on an eMac and an iMac (both are 10.4.9). I got the file sharing to work between all 3 computers. In XP, I used Bonjour and that was it. I used Bonjour and it found both printers, but it said that it could not find printer drivers. Does anyone know how to get this vista computer printing?

Thanks!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Have you installed the printer drivers onto the new Vista install?

3. Sean7512 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It is odd because even in XP it would have a list of available print drivers that was installed in Windows, but in Vista it shows none as available at all. That is not the case though, cause if I go into the Add Printer in Control Panel, all of the available printer drivers show up just fine.

Yes, I have downloaded the drivers (Epson C3180). I restarted the Vista machine and ran Bonjour again. This time, it said that the HP C3100 Series driver was automatically used (it was also the only one in the list). This is also weird, cause in XP it would ALWAYS use a "Generic" printer driver, not the real one. Anyways, the printer installs fine...but it doesn't print from Vista. It will quickly show up in the Windows printer queue, but nothing ever happens on the printer and nothing shows up in the printer queue on the mac. Any suggestions?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

5. Sean7512 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks a lot, mad jew :) I also saw that thread. I have not yet done it because I was wondering if anyone knows exactly what that is doing? I wouldn't want to compromise my PC's security any more than it does by itself :p But seriously, does anyone know what the following does under Vista?

"The reason that Vista has problems with Bonjour (and file sharing with Tiger Server) is to do with the security settings. There's no point in me boring you with details but if you do the following:

ALL ON VISTA MACHINE (Business or Ultimate)
    1) Click on Start and in the Search box type "secpol.msc" and it should list 1 program.
    2) Click on the "secpol.msc" program.
    3) Click on "Local Policies" -> "Security Options"
    4) Scroll down to the policy "Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level" and open it.
    5) By default Windows sets the policy to "NTVLM2 responses only (the problem for OS X) so change this to "LM and NTLM - use NTLMV2 session security if negotiated"."

Thanks everyone!

6. Sean7512 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I tried it anyways and it did not work :confused: I changed it back to its default value. Any other suggestions, I am confused about this especially when file sharing works perfectly.

7. Sean7512 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Anyone else have any other suggestions...it sucks not being able to print. Is this something that AppleCare can help me out with?

8. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

9. Sean7512 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Do you mean XP or Vista? It says that the registry change is only for Home Premium, I am using Vista Business

10. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

Sorry! Vista, I'll edit it. I have Vista Premium running on a laptop - it can now print to any printer on my network. I would check the registry for the LMCompatibilityLevel entry.

11. Sean7512 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, so you set that local policy AND changed the registry value, restarted, installed the driver, installed bonjour and it worked?

I will give it a try...*crosses fingers*

12. Sean7512 thread starter macrumors 6502a

:mad: Still not working....

Interesting though, if I go to the iMac printer Queue and switch to completed jobs, it lists jobs that were sent from my Vista computer and lists them as Finished....that is odd!

13. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

I only changed HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\LMCompatibilityLevel because Vista Premium does not have secpol.msc

I am curious to what make and model of printer you have

14. Sean7512 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The "LMCompatibilityLevel" registry item is not in the same directory as it is in Premium...I searched for it and the "Default" value was blank, it was not 3...I changed it to a 1 anyways. The printer is a HP Photosmart C3180 which is connected to a 24" iMac and a Lexmark Z515 is connected to a eMac. Hope to figure something out soon...Can AppleCare assist me over the phone since it is their software (bonjour)? I have a feeling that Apple is going to tell me it is a Windows problem and then I'll call Gateway and they won't help me since I now have Vista on it or they will tell me it is a OS X problem, and I'll end up stuck...

How does Microsoft manage to screw up printing from XP -> Vista....Unbelievable

15. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Apple has told you already how to configure a Mac printer for sharing. The instructions are in the MacOS X Help menu. Hint: Within Windows, you have to treat the printer as a LaserWriter (PostScript) printer.

16. Sean7512 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The problem is that Bonjour only gives me choices of 2 drivers. The HP and the Lexmark ones. The only 2 drivers that I downloaded and installed. It will not show the whole list of printer drivers unless I use the Windows Add a Printer Wizard...but that doesn't work either. Anyone wanna trade my laptops, I am getting frustrated, haha Hopefully I have it fixed in a week, that is my goal, 1 week to fix it

17. Sean7512 thread starter macrumors 6502a

18. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

So I'm guessing that you have yet to read the MacOS X Help menu? Stop fixating on Bonjour and HP's drivers. Share your printer from MacOS X. Setup the printer within Windows as a PostScript printer using your Mac's IP address. As I said before, read and follow your MacOS X Help menu.

19. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

Here is the help menu article

Sharing your printer with Windows users
    You can let Windows computers on your local network use any printer connected to your computer.

If the Windows users install Bonjour for Windows, you can share your printer with them using Bonjour. To share a printer, open the Print & Fax preferences, then click sharing. Select the option to share printers and select the printers you want to share. Use the Bonjour Printer Wizard on the Windows computer to set up to print to your printer.

Otherwise you can share your printer with Windows users by using SMB/CIFS, as described below.

To share your printer with Windows users by using SMB/CIFS:

In Print & Fax preferences, click Sharing.
    Select the Windows Sharing checkbox.To share your printer with Windows users by using SMB/CIFS:
    Click Show All, click Sharing, and then click Services.
    Select the Windows Sharing checkbox.

To print to your printer using SMB/CIFS, Windows users must configure an SMB/CIFS network printer and use the Postscript printer driver, even if the printer isn't a Postscript printer. Your Mac will translate the Postscript code into code the printer can understand. Have the Windows users see their Windows documentation for information on adding a network printer.

WIndows users printing via SMB/CIFS do not see any location information you may have entered for your printer.

Documents waiting to print on printers you're sharing are stored on your hard disk. (That is, your computer hosts the queue for the printer.)

20. Sean7512 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Done, done, done....still not working. How can I set it to use a postscript driver, if windows does not have a postscript driver listed :confused: I'll keep researching

21. aparrish macrumors newbie

Sean, I too have gone through all these steps and I'm still having the exact same problem. My Vista print jobs go through the Windows printer queue and appear in the Mac's completed print queue but never print. Did you find a Postscript driver?

22. Sean7512 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am soo happy that I am not the only one. No, I STILL have yet to get it working...I can't figure it out at all.

Edit: Welcome to MacRumors! :)

23. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

To get the postscript driver in Vista

1. OrB - Settings - Control Panel - Printer Wizard
    2. Add a local printer
    3. Create a new port
    4. Standard TCP/IP Port
    5. TCP/IP Device
    6. IP Address of Mac
    7. Port Name (as IP address)
    8. Generic TCP Card
    9. Vista will retrieve all printer drivers
    10. Select the Postscript driver
    11. Next to install drivers
    12. Finish

Try also opening Programs and Features and select Turn Windows features On or Off.

Under Printing Services turn on LPD Print Service and LPR Print Monitor.

24. MacBen macrumors newbie

I've got the same problem. The instructions above re getting the postscript driver didn't work for me, either. This is getting a little ridiculous now, as I have worked about a week on this problem.

I have a Canon multifunction on my Mac mini running OS X 10.4. I want to print from my Vista Home Premium notebook. The Mac Os X help instructions are useless to me; I don't know anything about configuring an SMB/CIFS network printer. When I followed the instructions from simie, first the IP address of my Mac wasn't detected (I entered it as straight IP address , then as IP address/computer name, etc. etc. ad nauseum). I can't find anything called Generic TCP card; I chose Generic network card. I couldn't find anything called a postscript driver in the list of drivers. I guess Home Premium doesn't support postscript drivers, whatever they are. Oh, well. I'll keep looking.