Printing from VPC 7 in 10.2.8 - Help please!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cleo, Dec 10, 2004.

1. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

I recently installed VirtualPC 7 with Windows XP Pro on my mother's iMac (G4 800, 512 MB RAM, OS 10.2.8) so she could use her accounting software on it. Everything went great (actually much better than I expected) until she tried to print. She has an HP 920c, which is USB. Printing from Mac applications is just fine, and we installed the printer drivers in Windows. Now when we try to print anything from Windows, her printer shows up in the Print... box and it *says* it's printing, but nothing physically comes out of the printer. Can anyone help us with this problem? My mom's pretty computer illiterate, and when it comes to Windows (and VPC) I'm barely any better. We'd appreciate any help anyone can offer.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The solution to your Mom's problem is simple. Do not try to use device-specific Windows print drivers in Virtual PC. You Mom should click on the little printer icon at the bottom of VPC's MacOS X application window. That will bring up the Printer Settings... dialog box. Your Mom will be presented with a selection of printers. She may chose the Mac default printer or from the pop-up menu, the printer of her choice. Within the Windows XP Printers and Faxes control panel, your Mom should select VM Additions Printer as her printer. She should ignore any other print drivers that she installed on Windows XP.

3. cleo thread starter macrumors 65816

cleo

Ok, we just tried this, and while "VM Additions Printer" is listed, when she attempts to print an error is given that it requires Panther (she's running 10.2.8). I can't find anything on the VPC site saying that printing is restricted to Panther... any other ideas?