Printing in GREEN instead of B/W

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bigtrees5000, Dec 11, 2006.

1. bigtrees5000 macrumors newbie

This is absolutely baffling to me. I have an ibook G4 that runs OS 10.4. My printer is a HP PSC 1610 all-in-one.

When I try to print a Black & White document (in B/W mode) from a screenwriting program that runs in OS 9, it comes out GREEN! I even tried taking out the color cartridge, but then nothing prints at all. My black cartridge is new, and prints fine from an OS X program like Word.

It was also prints green from my scanning program. Does anyone know why this is? I've heard it might be a color managment issue with the drivers.:confused:

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Does the problem happen only with that screenwriting program, with other programs under OS 9, or with programs in OS X too?

Can your printer print a test page with black?

3. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

You're not talking lime green here, are you? Your talking like a tint [perhaps heavy, but still a tint] of green? Black ink cartriges we put in our printers are made mostly for document printing and aren't suited well for photographs or other graphics. Many programs will subsitute green for some, or perhaps all, shades in green bbecause the human ey can see more shades of green than any other colour. It's supposed to give the graphic more colour depth.

4. bigtrees5000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, my printer can print a test page with black. I have 2 screenwriting programs that run in OS 9, nothing else. And yes, they both print in GREEN, even when I set the print button to Black & White (sometimes they'll even print in BLUE). I assume it is a compatibility problem between OS 9 and the printer.

However, all my document scans (using and HP scanning program that runs in OS X) also come out in GREEN. Very odd. Someone mentioned downloading new drivers. What's frustrating is that I basically only own the printer to print my scripts.

5. bigtrees5000 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, not lime green, just regular green. I'm only using the printer to print B/W script copies--no pictures or graphics--so it's odd. I could understand if it's a compatibility problem with OS 9 and the printer is mistaking Black text for a different color, but shouldn't it just print in B/W when instructed to?? I mean, there's a full B/W cartridge in the printer. :eek:

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

You might as well re-install a driver for it, even though your printer is in the list of printers for which Mac OS X should already have the drivers.

I see here that HP has both OS 9 and OS X drivers for it.

You might search HP's site yourself, first checking whether it's the PSC 1610, PSC 1610v, or PSC 1610xi.