Printing in Mac OS X

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Dr. No, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Dr. No macrumors regular

Sep 13, 2003
    Which printer company has better drivers for Mac OS X- Epson or HP?

I am trying to choose between an HP PSC 2175 and an Epson Stylus C82 for use with OS 10.3.5.

2. JFreak macrumors 68040

Jul 11, 2003
    Tampere, Finland
    i have had good experience with HP printer quality, both hardware- and software-wise. i have never liked epsons, for some reason, and it could very well be just my opinion.
  3. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2004
    the great OKLAHOMA....
    i concur!!!
  4. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

Sep 22, 2004
    HP by default

It may just be me, but I have had problems with Epson drivers and printers going back 10 years or so. Print quality is great on their printers, but I have had some difficulties making them work properly when attached to my Powerbook and several Windows machines.

The most recent was the Epson driver for an ALC900 (colour laser) which would not print from my PB to the Epson attached to a Windows PC (no problems with various HP and Canon printers attached to the same Windows PC at different times).

Also a 6 month old Epson C62 that, for some reason, stopped printing black. Ran diagnostics, reset printer, reinstalled drivers, replaced ink cartridges several times ($$$) and eventually threw it out.

I have had fewer problems with HP printers - have used them since around 1988 - but these days I tend to buy Canon.
  5. tech4all macrumors 68040

Jun 13, 2004
    I got an Epson 2200 contected to my G5 via USB with no problems at all. Works great. Not sure whats up with everyone's harsh opinions on Epson, but IMO they're awsome. I like HP as well, just haven't tried it on my Mac yet. But for what I use it for, photography and graphic design, it rules.

Only thing odd is that whenver I switch photo and matte blacks I have to reload the driver for that particular cartridge, but its hard to do, just delete old printer drivers from print center then simply click add and thats it. Sounds harder than what it really is. Although I didn't have to do that on my PC when I had the Epson hooked to it. But other than that I love my Epson :)
  6. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

May 6, 2004
    What's Your Favorite Posish
    i have had 4 epsons... every single on broke within 2 weeks... i hate them... my hp on the other hand is great... hp all the way for me
  7. caveman_uk Guest

Feb 17, 2003
    Hitchin, Herts, UK
    Neither - Canon. Epson's scanner drivers are pretty good though.
  8. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    Several years ago I had an Epson FX-80, but replaced it with an HP DeskJet 500C back in about 1993 or so. I went through a few more HPs, but switched back to Epson earlier this year. So far, my Epson CX3100's behaved itself much better than my old HP 710C (those are the only 2 printers I've tried in OS X).
  9. Estic macrumors member

Sep 12, 2004
    I have had several epson and hps. HP's are work horses, great for everyday tasks. Epson's on the other hand seem to require more care if they are used for constant printing. It really depends on what you are doing with the printer. I like HP's printers for everyday tasks and epson's for printing photos. I currently have an epson 2200 (only for printing graphics) and an old HP 960c. Both work great and I have no problems with either of them.

This is just my experience with both companies.
  10. hcuar macrumors 65816

Jul 23, 2004
    IMHO HP printers are work horses. If the printer works when you buy it, it'll last years and years. I just sold a 5 year old HP printer with a computer thta still was working perfectly.