PRINTING in OSX...what's up APPLE?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by naumann, Apr 15, 2003.

1. naumann macrumors newbie

Hey Apple! Some of us use our Macs for design work and we have to print our work sometimes. Did you ever think about that when building OSX? I don't think you did, because unfortunately, I have to use crappy old OS9 to print all my jobs due to lack of funtionality in X. I don't think you realize the entire design community is in printing limbo right now with your latest OS.

Why does OS9 have such a more robust printing scheme? There are probably less than 1/4 of the options for printing in X than there are in 9. This is not a driver issue, all the printer companies blame X. I have a dual Ghz mac with an Epson 2200 printer and having to restart in 9 to print slows workflow and is a general pain in the anus.

Otherwise, I have no real problems with X. I know I'm not the only one with this issue.

DESIGNERS REACH OUT AND BE HEARD!

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Yeah...this is why I went back to OS 9 at work...X was just not fully functional.

Too many postscript issues...PPD's not fucntioning properly on all output devices...

too much b.s....

but I use it on both my machines at home... ;)

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Although they added something like 300 laser printers, when 10.2 came along, it disabled many printers. My Epson SC900 had just started working again with 10.2.4. I'm not saying that CUPS wasn't necessary, it was just plopped in so haphazardly that more people were hurt than benefited from the change.

Of course, there are many large format printers which apparently don't have drivers, but it's probably a problem with getting them to work with Mac OS X. Hopefully, 10.3 will take care of this ridiculous problem or you can start calling it OS/2.

4. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    while it is taking longer than it should, i think apple is coming along fairly well with os x. they have almost started from scratch and made a completely new os with damn good legacy support.

printing is probably low on their list of things to perfect. it seems they have focused on the consumer who has less demands. they are trying to please the demanding pros right now. audio and printing will come along shortly. but that is too long for me and many others.

i hope 10.3 can be the 100% working X we have been waiting for.