Printing list of fies in a folder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Eggles, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Eggles macrumors newbie

Is there any way built-in to 10.3.9 to print a list of the files in a folder?

Edit: Sorry - I put this in the wrong folder. Can an admin please move it?

2. jtt macrumors regular

Printiwindow

You can find it on versiontracker.com

3. Eggles thread starter macrumors newbie

You sure you got that name right? I got this message after searching at Version Tracker:

No products were found that matched your search criteria. Please try again.

A seach containing just 'print' turned up 100s of names.

4. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

You could always take a picture of it (command+shift+4) and print the picture, as long as there isn't too many files

5. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

1. Make sure the items in the folder are in the order you want (for example, alphebetical). This is easiest to do in List mode.
      EDIT: Bah, it doesn't seem to care what order you choose, the Copy/Paste does its own thing. :( :mad: :eek:
    2. Select all (Cmd-A)
    3. Copy (Cmd-C)
    4. Open TextEdit
    5. Paste (Cmd-V)
    6. Print (Cmd-P) ;)

6. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

7. Eggles thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you Neocell. Doing it bankshot's way would take forever as I need subfolder printouts as well.

8. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

No problem

9. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

Use excel

Do the same thing above then you can cut and paste into excel.. If you want to rearrange them you can use the sort function.

Nuc

10. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Go to Applications->AppleScript and open AppleScript Utility and check the boxes for "Show Script Menu in menu bar" and "Show Library Scripts." Once you've done that, you'll see a new icon on the right side of your menu bar that looks like a little scroll thing. Click on that script icon and then select Printing Scripts -> Print Window (or Print Window with Subfolders in your case). A dialog box will come up so you can select the folder whose contents you wish to print. Select the folder and click open and it'll print a (text) list of files in the folder to your default printer.

There are a lot of other useful little AppleScripts in that script menu, and you can write your own and add them too if you want. Just another great thing about Macs :D.

11. Eggles thread starter macrumors newbie

mduser63

Obviously there are a few other people on this forum that don't know that little trick.

12. Whistleway macrumors 6502

Nice, Will check it out..

13. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

I read somewhere that there's a way to do it by dragging a folder to a printer icon. I've never tried it though. Can anybody shed some light on that one?

14. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Wow, you learn something new every day - thanks for this mduser63. :cool:

15. dlabunsky macrumors newbie

Printing list of fies in a folder

1. Go to system prefrences > print & fax > double click on your printer's name
    2. Select files you want to print by using cmd+click
    3. Drag files into the printer window or printer icon on the dock
    4. You're done!

16. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Out of curiosity, how did you come upon this thread and why did you register to resurrect a five year old thread?

17. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Time traveler? Was that even possible five years ago? (the Sys Prefs thing)

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Just another case of someone's first and only post in the forum being a resurrection of an old thread to add useless information. The OP wanted to print a list of files... not the files, themselves, as dlabunsky's post would do.

19. assegai macrumors newbie

Printing File lists

Of course - none of these solutions work with Snow Leopard - at least with PDF files which I am working with. When trying these offerings the printer prints the entire contents of each file in the list. As to the Apple Script solution - apparently Snow Leopard has changed Apple Scripts so that the steps simply don't exist.:(

20. oldguyfromnj macrumors newbie

When I do this, it copies the PICTURES!

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

In step 5, instead of Paste (Cmd-V) use Edit > Paste and Match Style (Shift-Option-Cmd-V)

22. webman212 macrumors newbie

folder listing with bbedit

It isn't free, but you can try before you buy. BBedit does a great job of listing all files in a folder. I use it all the time to maintain my website.

23. Mr. Retrofire, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2012

Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

You can also use TextWrangler (Bare Bones Software replacement for BBEdit Lite). As far as i know, it allows (together with the Finder) what Mac OS 9.2.2 and earlier had: Print a list of files in a folder (i think Apple called it "Print Desktop", or something like this). Just follow the advice of bankshot and mduser63.

24. Weaselboy macrumors Core

Weaselboy

Just open Terminal app and type the two commands below. This will give you a text file list.txt on your Desktop with all the files listed. Change Folder name to whatever folder you want to list files for. Then print the file if you want a paper copy.

Code:
    cd /Folder name
    ls > ~/Desktop/list.txt

25. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

I'm too lazy to look it up, but someone already asked something like this (maybe it was you, but then in the moved thread).

Anyway, I was intrigued, and tried the solution myself. You just open terminal. There you type "find" and then what you want it to look in.

So "find /" will do everything on your hard drive.

"find ~/" will do everything in your home folder.
    "find ~/documents/" will do everything in your documents folder.

So you just look up where your folder is (right mouse click, get info) and type this information into the terminal.

Then you can just copy right from terminal (select it, Command+c) into any editor you want (textedit, word, pages). Voila, you're list.

oh, you can add some letters to the end.

Here's a page with more details: http://www.idea-digital.com/index.php/obsessions/35-unix/13-terminal-find

EDIT: apparently they moved my answer to the moved thread, I didn't know people had already answered your question.