Printing on HP 5n

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Tommy!, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Tommy! macrumors regular

Hey everyone

I go to school and there is an HP5n laser printer.... i've tried everyyything to get it to print. I downloaded drivers from HP, and still when i print all it does is print out a think line that says "undefined error." What now? I can print from classic, but not panther ... Any help would be great!

Thanks
    Tommy

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Re: Printing on HP 5n

You have to use Printer Setup Utility to add your printer to the Print Center. You should not have to install any drivers. The most that you should do is to add a PPD file for the HP LaserJet 5n.

If you expect any additional help, you are going too have to explain what you have done to set up your printer. It is not possible to help you without knowing the specific nature of your problem.

3. Tommy! thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I know. The thing is, whenver I print to any printer on the network, all that comes out is a line that says "undefined error %30948" (i dont remember the exact numbers). This even happens with newer HP printers. The computer can't even bring itself to recognize the printer. Then, when the computer tells me to locate them, I find the driver in the driver list.

What I realized today was, I can print perfectly in classic. What's going on!

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I asked you four days ago and I will ask you again: What have you done to set-up your printer in MacOS X? The most likely explanation is that you haven't done it correctly, if at all.

5. Tommy! thread starter macrumors regular

I follow the steps to set up from a network printer.... press add new printer, select appletalk zone, select the printer from the list. then the computer says it cant find the right driver, so i either manullay select the (correct) driver or say generic. either way for whatever printer in whatever location, it just prints out a line.

It would be nice if you could not assume I am doing it wrong. I'm not new to the macintosh; I have been using them 1990. No hard feelings