Printing problems

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by kestra, Mar 8, 2004.

1. kestra macrumors newbie

This may not be a Panther question, but I'm not sure where it fits, and thanks in advance for any help.

We bought an HP All-in-One scanner/printer/copier. The software installs just fine but an icon does not appear on the desktop and when we go to print, the computer tells us to go the chooser and choose the printer. When I open the chooser, I see two choices: HP All-in-One v. 5.3 and HP All-in-One scan. Clicking on the v. 5.3 gives me nothing and clicking on the other one gets me a message that says the OfficeJet Communications something or other has expired and directs us to purchase it. Do we HAVE to buy the Microsoft Office to be able to print from an app like Adobe Photoshop or Word? This is very frustrating. We were able to print a couple documents from Explorer but now nothing will print because it says that serial port is being used by something else when nothing else is open. I did try to change some things in printer setups but have no idea now what I changed and what it screwed up. Help!

2. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

more info would help a lot. ie. what os you are you using since it must not be panther if you have a chooser. system info helps.

3. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

The all-in-one model name/number would help, too. I have experience with the latest PSC Photosmarts on Panther and can help if that's the case.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You must be in Classic. Panther uses the Print Center. In order to print from MacOS X, you must have a MacOS X print driver installed. In order to print from Classic, you must have a MacOS 9 driver installed.
    Word is a standalone application. However, it is part of the M$ Office bundle. Word is fully functional, including printing, without the rest of Office. Adobe Photoshop has nothing to do with Office and will print whether or not you install Office.
    Explorer? Internet Explorer or Windows Explorer or some other Explorer? MacOS X does not support serial ports. MacOS X supports IP-printing and USB printing. Serial printers and AppleTalk printers are explicitly not supported. Macs have never supported parallel printers.

5. kestra thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, I will try to answer these questions.

We bought this G5 at the end of last year. We have Panther (I think) OS X v. 10.3. We also seem to have "Mac Classic," i.e.., OS 9?

Both my version of Word and Adobe Photoshop (imported from an older Mac) seem to work in the Classic platform. Hence, a chooser.

The HP printer is the hp psc 1100/1200 series all-in-one.

I tried to print from Internet Explorer.

The exact message from the Mac upon trying to select the hp in the chooser is: "The Office v. X Test Drive has expired. To order your copy of Office v. X Click Buy Now. For more information about what features have been disabled please see the Read Me."

But it doesn't tell me where the Read Me is, and when I go into the Microsoft Office folder and read the Read Me file, it doesn't really say what is disabled.

Still thoroughly confused! :-/

k

6. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

well..if you havent bought MS office, then the trial version that comes with panther has expired. So either you need to buy it, or when you click print, then in the window which appears, click 'save as pdf'. Then you can print that pdf file and wont need MS office anymore.
    or a third way would be to download open office, its free :)

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You have Classic versions of those apps. You need a MacOS 9 driver for your all-in-one. I surmise that you are using the Classic version of IE rather than the MacOS X version.

You are mixing things up here. It seems that you are now referring to the Office v.X test drive that shipped with your computer, but you are also talking about the Chooser, which is part of Classic, not MacOS X.

Well, the test drive hadn't expired when the Read Me file was written.

8. kestra thread starter macrumors newbie

I got this from the apple developer's page:

>You cannot use desktop printers with Mac OS 9 applications. To print, open the Chooser and select a printer.
    You can only use printers connected using AppleTalk with Mac OS 9 applications from Mac OS X. You cannot use serial, USB, or TCP/IP printers.
    The Mac OS 9 Setup Assistant lets you configure serial printers, but they do not work with Mac OS X. If you attempt to set up a serial printer, the Classic environment will freeze.

So does this mean I just spent $100 for nothing on that hp printer? Sorry to be such a rank newbie, but I'm confused even about the basics here. Is the hp a: 1) desktop printer? 2) serial printer? 3) USB printer? or 4) TCP/IP printer?

My AppleTalk is not active. Do I need to activate it to use this printer?

Still floundering around in the dark.

k

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Perhaps you wouldn't flounder around is you were willing to light a candle. I have no idea where you got your information about Classic printing, but it is wrong. It is most certainly contradicts everything that I know and have heard or read about Classic printing. You should take a look at this Apple web page.

Now get this:

Desktop printers are icons on your desktop. It is associated with a specific printer. They are setup by the Chooser or the Desktop Printer Utility. They are, however, not real printers.

Serial printers are real printers that connect to one of your computer's serial ports, either the modem port or the printer ports. Beginning with the original iMac, Apple eliminated serial ports from its computers. Serial printers are not supported by MacOS X. Serial printers are not supported under Classic.

USB printers connect to your computer via the USB port. USB printers are supported under Classic and are supported by MacOS X. USB is the only allowed connection for cheap printers. That is not a problem, however, because most such printers have USB ports. Parallel-only printers are not supported and never have been.

TCP/IP printers aka IP-printers connect to your computer over the Internet or over your IP-based LAN. This is the preferred connection for MacOS X networks. Virtually all TCP/IP printers use PostScript of a PostScript clone. You can also use them in Classic if you set them up using the Desktop Printer Utility. They work great in either Classic or MacOS X.

10. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

We will help you figure this out!
    What do you mean imported from an older mac? This could be your problem. Did you have the installation discs for these programs? What version of Word and pHotoshop are they?

I have an idea, but I dont' know what software program would be best for you to test this from. can someone help here...what if she printed from an apple program in both OSx and OS9 just to test the printer drivers...and not from third party software? I was thinking text edit or something...she probably won't have Appleworks with a G5...right? I have an iMac which has extra software she won't have obvously or else I would reccommend a program to test with.

This would allow her to determine first if it is a printer issue or simply program software issue.

Hopefully someone else can give you an idea of what program to test with.

good luck

11. kestra thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, we are getting closer!

MisterMe, the link was helpful! And flyfish29, your test suggestions were helpful!

The printer is printing from OS X again, from Internet Explorer. I think when I shut the computer down last night, it reverted back to defaults. But you were right, flyfish, it won't print from an OS 9 application like Notepad, which came installed and is not one of my old iMac imported apps.

So I'm concluding I need the drivers. Being a rank newbie, I'm guessing I have to go to the hp website and get the OS 9 drivers for this printer? But why wouldn't they be on the software CD? It says the printer is compatible with OS 9 and OS X. Or maybe I have to go to Apple's site and get the drivers there?

Off I go driver-hunting. And once again, thanks for everyone's help and patience. :)

k

12. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Historically, Apple did not bundle its OS with third-party print drivers. Prior to MacOS X, Apple expected third-parties to provide software support for their printers. The exception was PostScript printers where a single PostScript driver written by Apple supported all PostScript printers. The vendor was responsible only for the PPD file. With the advent of MacOS X, Apple's policy has changed. MacOS X ships with a large collection of drivers for various model printers from EPSON, HP, et. al. However, Apple nor any other OS developer can be expected to provide a driver for every printer. The buyer and the printer manufacturer still retain some responsibility. If you don't buy a networkable PostScript printer, then you are required to determine whether or not your printer has MacOS X or Classic support before you buy.

13. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

The HP site should have what you need and should be an easy enough fix. Your CD should have them as well though. You will probably want to be sure to install the OS9 driver of course and I don't have a clue to how that works in Classic OS9 Hopefully someone else can help, but I would think it would be as simple as putting in the Cd and finding the "read me" file and reading that first to see how to install. Good luck, and let us know!

14. kestra thread starter macrumors newbie

The continuing saga ... well, I went to the hp site to download the OS 9 drivers. It found my printer but said the driver was for the "Europe" version of this printer. Huh? Then when I went to download it, it said it would take 5 hours! Granted, I only have a dialup connection, but that's ridiculous. As I wasn't sure whether this "Europe" thing was really right, I ended up quitting the download. So I'm not sure what to do next.

MisterMe, it's nice if you have a lot of experience with computers, printers, drivers and whatnot to be able to know ahead of time that you need to determine compatibility issues before you buy something. Not all us of have such experience or know what questions to ask, which is why I'm here asking for help. If this forum is intended for people more advanced in their knowledge of computers, perhaps you could suggest a website geared more to beginners. I would certainly appreciate it as I don't want to waste anyone's time.

Thanks again.

15. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

kestra, my young friend, doing your research before you buy is good advice whether you are buying a blank CD, an automobile, a flashlight battery, or anything else. The more expensive the product, the more urgent the need for proper research.

16. kestra thread starter macrumors newbie

MisterMe,
    At the store I spoke to the clerk in the electronics department, who seemed knowledgeable about both Macs and PCs, and assured me the printer should be compatible. In fact, he told us we needed to buy a USB cable, as the printer doesn't come with same, something I would not have known, so he saved us another trip. He also was knowledgeable about printing cartridges and how long they last and which quality to get depending on the job required.

The software disk says the program installs on Mac OS9 and OS X.

What more research should I have done? And as I bought the thing at WalMart, I know they will take it back if I am not satisfied with it.

I am neither "young" nor your friend. In fact, I am older than you, if your listed birthdate is to be believed. Don't patronize me. If you can't be genuinely helpful to someone on this board without snide comments, such as "perhaps you wouldn't flounder around if you were willing to light a candle" and chiding people for not knowing a priori what they simply don't know, perhaps it is best if you keep silent. All your sarcastic comments do is create bad feelings and add to an already stressful situation of inexperienced people trying to get some help and answers.

17. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Kestra, I am so sorry there are people in this forum who treat others this way...especially being a Mac fourm which I am very passionate about.

I would like to know more about your Cd you have with the drivers because that has everything you need to run this thing on OS 9 for sure. Does HP provide support for installing drivers for x number of days? If so, call them. Are you sure you are even going to be using much of OS9 and for that matter are you going to be printing with OS9. I know when I bought my machine I really wanted the OS9 compatibility but in 7 months have never ever used classic and don't ever plan on it. In fact I have not even seen it run on my OSx machine. Just something to think about . Also, what error message do you get when trying to print from notepad?

18. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

kestra, my young friend, the store is probably the worst place to do research.

19. kestra thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello flyfish :) Thanks for your comments.

I'm not in front of my computer right now, but it seems that a number of applications are in the Classic app folder, including notepad and SimpleText. Certainly Adobe Photoshop simply because that's where I put it. Is it possible that if I simply move it to the OS X app folder, it will print from there? Hard to believe the solution can be this easy, but I'll try it when I get home. When I open an app in the Classic folder, including Outlook Express, it comes up with a bar that says "Starting Classic OS 9" or some such. Question: how do you start Classic without opening an application which causes it to start? Where is the Classic executable located?

A friend of mine here suggested I start Classic, then start photoshop, then open a photoshop file, then try to print from it. He also suggested maybe installing the printer software in Classic but I'm not sure how to do that? (he said, "i.e., have Classic running so the print stuff goes into OS 9." Would it do that?) When the computer reads the CD, it doesn't give me an option of where to install it (I don't think).

When I try to print from an OS 9 app, it says no printer has been selected in the chooser. When I go to the chooser and try to click on hp all-in-one, I have two choices: all-in-one scan or all-in-one v. 5.3. 5.3 does nothing when I click on it. Scan comes up with another message that says something about the office communications software being disabled or uninstalled. Neither shows up in the right hand box to allow me to select it.

But, the printer is printing again, in a lame fashion. To get a photoshop file to print, I have to open it in Internet Explorer, which usually makes it smaller by an inch all around, so I have to resize it first, which is a pain. To get a SimpleText doc to print, I have to put it in TextEdit first, which is OK, but again, this long way around things is a bit of a pain.

20. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Classic can be started in a number of ways. One way it to simply launch a Classic application. Another way is to use the Classic pane of System Preferences to have Classic start up when you log in. You can also establish enable the menu bar icon in MacOS X 10.3. That will allow you to launch or shutdown Classic from your menu bar. The Classic executable is located in the folder with the little "9" icon that is located at the root level of your hard disk. However, Classic is for the most part MacOS 9.2.2 without the MacOS 9 Finder.
    Your friend is giving you silly advice. You can only print to Classic from Classic applications. You cannot run Classic applications without Classic. Your print driver installer is smart enough to find the proper location to install the driver. Don't worry about it.
    You are not giving enough information to help you on this one. Exactly how is yout all-in-one connected to your computer?
    You are going all around Job's barn to do something very simple. SimpleText documents are supposed to open automatically in TextEdit. If they don't, it is because someone changed the default. Do a "Get Info" on a SimpleText file and change the default application back to TextEdit. You should be able to open you Photoshop files in Preview. Do a "Get Infor" on a Photoshop file and change its default application to Preview.

21. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Don't try moving photoshop!!!!! It must be an OS9 app so you definately don't want to move it. when something is installed certain files are actually put in several places so just moving it won't do anything but probably screw some things up.

My other question I asked you before was not "are there applications in OS9 classic applications folder", but do you use any of those applications for things...you must as you have started classic and I assume it is photoshop.

when you start photoshop, does classic start up?

I don't understand scan in your quote above and how this has something to do with office communications software...hmmm...you should only have to select the printer and close the window. there is one more thing to try. Go into simple text (not textedit) so you have to print from classic. Then type up a quick document to test printing with. Before printing go to the File menu and choose "print" what does it say in the top left of that box...does it showyour printer name in the corner? Also try clicking on the "revert to defaults" button and try to print and see what happens.

If it doesn't print, then go back to the chooser and choose the other HP printer by clicking on it to select it and close the chooser window and try to print again. (when you select a printer in the chooser it really won't do anything...at least until you try to print then it should simply print.)

Side question: What shows up on the right side of the chooser window when you select one of those two HP printers it shows there...does anything like printer port or serial port show up?

Let me know what happens, but I would think calling HP would help if there is phone support.

Good luck

22. 7on macrumors 601

7on