Printing Question

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by nsrii, Feb 17, 2005.

1. nsrii macrumors newbie

I've searched and searched for the answer to this, but can anyone tell me how I can print a file directory/folder listing?? I do a lot of work that involves handing CDs off and it would be nice if I could print out the files that are on the CD straight from the folder.

I am hoping that there is something native in the OS that does this, beyond making a capture of the screen or using third party software.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Nick

2. angelneo macrumors 68000

There's a way for you to output the directory listing to a text file via Termainal (unix to the rescue). I actually found the commands off the web. quoted from the link:
    The link provides more help and can be found here: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=2004020716455773

EDIT: found out that BBEdit also does the same thing, just click and drag

3. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

This would also be a nice feature for iTunes: printing the contents of a playlist in jewel case size.

4. nsrii thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip! I saw something similar to this, but I was looking for something more graphical. However, I guess it wouldn't make much difference, since the person(s) using the CD would have access to the contents.

Thanks again,
    Nick

5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

6. nsrii thread starter macrumors newbie

That is, in fact, perfect! Thanks for pointing this out for me!

7. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

You could always use Command-Shift-4 to take a screen shot and include the .pdf file on the CD.

8. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Can't you already do that? :confused:

9. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

Why Apple removed this feature from OS X is beyond me, our company still uses OS 9.2.2 for our mainstay production work. I work in Commercial Printing and when we send printing jobs to and from customers and outside vendors, it's a neccessity to print a "contents" list of the documents, fonts, linked graphics, etc. I can't see why a request to Apple couldn't get this feature back (OK a strong loud lobby would do better).

10. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Erh... try cmd-P (or File -> Print...) and you'll see a lot of choices, among them jewel case with coverart from your artwork... or a plain list...