printing to a pc???

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by SasyBabe, Jan 29, 2004.

1. SasyBabe macrumors member

SasyBabe

I was wondering if this is even possible...

I have a HP deskjet printer hooked up to my PC and that is hooked up to router I have a powerbook hooked up to my router also and I was wondering how I can print to my printer through my PC...

Please help, I'm not too experienced with Macs.... :)

2. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

It's easy. Make sure your Windows box has file and printer sharing enabled, and that you're actually sharing the printer (you can do this via the "Printers" control panel).

Then, run the Printer Setup Utility on your Mac, select "add" to add a printer, choose "Windows printer" as the type and you should then be able to browse to your printer and select it.

3. DanUk2003 macrumors member

I had a problem getting my mac to see the PC's printer - so here's what I did:

In the Print Center on the Mac, alt-click the "add" printer button.

[​IMG]

Then select the advanced option.

[​IMG]

Now type in the user/password for ur pc, then the other details as shown.

I hope this helped.

4. SasyBabe thread starter macrumors member

SasyBabe

I'm tryin to find an advanced button to push like you are talking about ....i see nothing... and I dont see an option to pick a windows printer... I did share my printer on my PC too.. so i dont understand why it is not showing up. mmmm...:confused: :confused:

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Are you holding Option while clicking the Add toolbar button?

6. SasyBabe thread starter macrumors member

SasyBabe

Yes, i get to the point where you have to choose your printer... but i do not have any chooses about a windows printer... I have chooses like appletalk... I choose appletalk hoping it would get my windows printer to show... nope ...nothing... :confused:

7. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

What OS are you on? 10.2 or 10.3?

8. Biker21098 macrumors member

PC printing

I would think you also need to enable windows sharing under the sharing control panel so that the windows tab showup in the print utility. I dont know about the advance tab though, i never needed it. G-Luck

9. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Maybe I'm totally off-base here, but... with your choice of words, I'm wondering.

You aren't perchance using an old Mac OS like 7, 8, or 9 are you? Are you using a selector called the "Chooser"?

10. SasyBabe thread starter macrumors member

SasyBabe

I am using OS 10.2
    I did enable the windows sharing on my printer on my pc... so now i'm still lost

11. SasyBabe thread starter macrumors member

SasyBabe

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Have you installed the printer driver on your mac yet?

13. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

10.2 does not print to windows printers AFAIK.
    Unless you install Samba 3.0 and the newest CUPS, then you might get it to work...

14. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i have printed to windows printers from both jaguar and panther, sans samba, sans CUPS.

15. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Really? Cool, can you let me know how? I couldn't ever get it to work unless I used a postscript printer or LPR-ing my jobs to a 2000 server...

16. Lincoln macrumors regular

Lincoln

I seem to remember trying this on my Network at home before I had Panther. Macosxhints.com has instructions on how to do this.

You didn't mention what version of Windows you were running, but here are the instructions from Windows XP:

MacOSXHints.com

Hope this helps.

17. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i have the advantage of the printer being right on the network, so i use IP printing. ymmv.

18. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

where you see the choice appletalk, it would be a drop down menu. Pull it down, and there will certainly be other choices, one being 'windows printing'. just select that one. It would automatically show you the windows machines in the network.
    Note-with the networking on panther , soemtimes you cannot see other comp in the network. So then the above wont work . BUt most of the times it should be good.

19. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Right, me too. I'm printing to a Minolta 2300 DL that is supposed to be windows only, but with IPP I can print to it too. But I think the original poster was talking about a printer being shared by windows...

20. Bilba macrumors member

Samsung ML-1430 any luck?

I am still unable to print to my Samsung ml-1430 laser printer which is connected to desktop P.C .

The desktop is wired to a SMC wireless router, and the Pbook is using the airport card. I tried d/l the samsung drivers, but it seems as if they are only usable if you connect the printer directly to the laptop.

Any one had any luck with printing to a samsung printer?
    I am quite sure that it should be like printing to the entire samsung "small" office/home laser rpinter, i.e. the ML-1XXX series.

21. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

If I remember correctly, with 10.2 you didn't see the Windows printing option unless you did something odd like option-click. And even then you didn't have "windows printing"; it was something like "advanced options" and you had to specify smb://user@sharename/printername, it was a real pain. Only reason I figured it out was I'd used CUPS in Linux; so I knew what it expected.

22. Souljas macrumors regular

do printer servers (parrallel) work with mac OS?

23. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Short answer: yes. A substantial fraction of printers have internal print servers. I presume that you are asking about external print servers. For the most part, however, a print server is a print server. Like anything else, their features vary from model to model.

24. SasyBabe thread starter macrumors member

SasyBabe

I followed the instructions listed on Macosxhints.com and I did everything except that my XP machine is connected to my router using the option to obtain a IP address automatically... so how do i set up my Mac to find my XP machine if i dont know the IP address???? Any help?:confused:

25. Lincoln macrumors regular

Lincoln

You need to use ipconfig

To find the address on the XP machine, open a DOS or Command prompt (click on "Run" in the START menu, type cmd then click the OK button).

A command prompt should now appear. Type ipconfig then hit the return key; this will list the computer's IP address (as well as other IP settings).

NOTE:
    Although the router dishes out the IP numbers and they ave a pre-determined time limit or lease (usually 1 to 3 days), 99.99% of the time the PC's IP address will not change. This is just something worth noting in case it stops working one day.

Hope this helps.