Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

metzler000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2004
Printing from OS 9.2.2 to a 2000 server with a shared printer. Does anyone know exactly how this is done? I've been looking for a clear description on how to do this and haven't found any. This should be a 123 process. I have AppleTalk, a printer shared with a ps driver and print services for MAC installed on the 2000 box. On the mac I have Appletalk enabled. A printer shows up in the chooser, but when I try to print I just get garbage. Any ideas.

John

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
SFM (service for macintosh) is junk. Get DAVE. or...OS X.

metzler000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2004
I have OSX. Unfortunately MAC wasn't bright enough to redirect Classic Mode printing to the OSX printing subsystem. Because the users are using a bunch of old programs I'm stuck with using Classic Mode, or having them boot into OS9.2 from what I understand so I'm stuck using services for MAC. It must work, anyone know how to properly make this happen?

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
Do you have access to the 2000 server?
I havent messeed around with it for a long time, but there might be some settings you could change.

I think there are possible two things you could do...

Share the printer from 2000 as a postscript printer (I dont know if 2000 can do this or not), and OS 9 (I have limited experience) should be able to print to it just fine.

The second thing is, if you can get printing to work from OS X, try to turn on printer sharing, and share the windows printer form OS X, and add it in OS 9 or classic.

Or...after a little searching, you could create a "desktop printer" that spits out .PS files, this can be opened on OSX and printed from its printing system to Win2000, assuming you can get OS X to print fine. (I don't know how to set up in OS 9)

Hope that helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.