Printing to a windows shared printer

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by makingmesick, Nov 20, 2003.

1. makingmesick macrumors newbie

Hi there!! New around here, new to Macs. I've been a PC guy for the past 18 years. Anyway, here is my dilema:

I am running 10.2 on my new Powerbook G4 and I was trying to install a shared printer on my PC at home. I have gone into the Print Center, but can find no selection for Windows printing or network printing. I simply do not know how to install the printer on the powerbook.

My machine was running Panther when I first got it. I was able to install a different shared printer without any problems at all. The selection for it was included in the print center. Then purchased a memory upgrade for the G4 that actually ended up messing up the O/S (I think, since the machine would only boot from the CD, and lock up after a few minutes) After this, I ended up restoring the unit with the Jaguar CD. I have not installed Panther yet because I want to see how the G4 performs with the new memory (got an exchange).

Anyway, in summary, how the heck can I install the printer? Is it an added functionality in Panther that is simply not included in Jaguar, or am I missing something? Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :)

2. makingmesick thread starter macrumors newbie

hi, anybody? Could use a little help here. Don't hate me cuz I'm a windows (l)user! :D

3. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

go to Printer Setup Utility, then Windows Printing. If its not showing up immediately, click the second drop down and select Network Neighborhood. You should be able to find it by browsing the workgroups if the printer is shared.

4. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Looks like that's a Panther-only feature.
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/newfeatures/ (see SMB printing)

Why do you think the memory is causing Panther to have issues? Seems to me if it caused instability under one it'd do it on the other, too.

5. makingmesick thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey thanks a lot. Actually I did figure it was probably just a Panther thing. The original memory was causing issues both in jaguar and in panther. The reason I haven't installed panther is that it takes about two hours to install, and update.(it did the first time) I really want to be sure that this memory (new memory) will not cause my O/S to take a dump. Having jaguar installed is just temporary until I verify that the memory is good and will not give me any problems when I install panther along with other apps, especially Final Cut 4. THanks again guys (and girls), I guess I'll just do without a printer until I install panther.

6. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

oh i saw panther and thought you were running it. i should have read more clearly.

hold down option when you click to Add a printer. then you can choose the Advanced panel and choose an SMB printer. from there you can do a smb://user:password@ip.add.re.ss/printer

7. makingmesick thread starter macrumors newbie

hey there, actually I tried the "hold down option" key, selected "advanced", but the SMB printing did not come up as an option. I did read about this somewhere else. I know that there is something you can do in Terminal to make the selection appear in the advanced menu, but as I am new to Apple, I have no clue how to use Terminal let alone try to customize through it. I need something like a step by step guide. Thank you for the information, but I think I will just have to wait until I install Panther again.

On a different note, has there been any reports of FCP4 having issues with Panther? When I first installed it on Panther, I was having a hell of a time just capturing to an external USB hard drive. Half the time FCP would go into the Spinning Beach Ball of Death. The other half, it would just quit unexpectedly. I'm sure some of this had to do with the new memory, but if I recall correctly, it also did it even before I installed the new memory. (by the way, the "new memory" is a Samsung 1GB 2700 SODIMM, this is what the PBG4 takes, right?!) That's the other reason why I hesitate to drop Panther on the beast.

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

While I don't have Final Cut Pro, you could try upgrading to 4.1 and see if that helps with your Panther problems. It's a free upgrade.

9. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

can you take a screenshot of the options you ARE given? i remember doing this in Jaguar and making it work. the details, though, are indeed fuzzy.