Printing to Samsung ML-1710 on Windows network

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Bill5818, Jul 23, 2004.

1. macrumors newbie

Has anyone successfully been able to print to a
    Samsung ML-1710 shared on a windows network. I've got the USB driver installed and can print to the printer if I plug directly into it, but cannot print over the network. I can't find a GIMP driver for it. I am able to print to my other network printer, a Canon s820. I'll need fairly basic instruction, as I am new to the Mac world after 20 years on PCs. I'm running OS X 10.3 on a G4 Powerbook.

2. macrumors 68030

superbovine

http://www.samsung.com/Products/Printer/support/Download/driver/index.htm

you try this?

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

ML 1710 and network

Well, I have the drivers loaded to enable me to print when the printer is physically connected to my Powerbook. What I want to do is print over the network when my printer is shared on my Windows machine. Also, the link you gave me is broken for the os x 1.2 and up driver.

Thanks anyway

4. macrumors 68030

superbovine

my bad

5. macrumors 68000

Fukui

You might try looking at Linuxprinting.org especially the part about OS X, and thier forums can have a lot of useful info.

Also check here .

6. macrumors 6502a

7. macrumors regular

I'm having a similar issue to the original poster.

I'm running 10.3 and trying to print to a Samsung ML-2150 shared via USB from a windows computer running XP.

I've tried adding the printer through "Windows Sharing", and also through the "Advanced" SMB method described by the link above, but no matter what happens I get the following errors:

Connection failed with error NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

Unable to connect to SAMBA host, will retry in 60 seconds

Any ideas?

8. macrumors 68000

Hey.

I got a cheap 1510 for my documents, it's a nightmare to set up. Scratch that, it's impossible; the Linuxprinting.org drivers may work for the 2150 and 1710 at a push, but the simplest answer I have found is:

Print documents as PDF to (Samba'd) 'documents' folder on PC
    Run Remote desktop...
    Print through that :(

Not the most elegant solution, but it works.

9. macrumors regular

Ugh. Doesn't sound good. Maybe some new drivers will come out? I'd love to hear from a Samsung success story. :)

10. macrumors member

I have the 1710

A success story? WEll mine kinda is. I have a mac network here in my dorm room. my desktop is hooked via USB hub to an Espon CX6400 and the ML 1710. I have a wireless hub that I use for my laptop. It a breeze to print wirelessly from the laptop to the either printer (mac print sharing is so easy), now If i could just set it up so my PC roommate can print on it as well. The print sharing is great, granted you talking about a PC network, but this mac one is a success. Still working on the windows part of it, I got it once last year, but it was short lived and tough to set up, I have an odd mix of DAVE and panther windows filesharing stuff, DAVE still thinks its installed, but it isn't, oh well. Good luck

11. macrumors regular

Hmm... Sounds like it'll take some new drivers from samsung that support windows printing.

12. macrumors 6502a

javabear90

So, I am now having the same problem. Samsung realeased new drivers, however they are no help. :( :mad: