Printing to Windows Printer

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by VanMac, Aug 8, 2005.

1. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Hello.

I'm having trouble printing to a printer connected to my windows xp pro machine from my new 12" iBook.

I've gone through the instructions for setting up printers, and read the few posts on this forum. I still have the same issue, so maybe someone can help.

I have a wireless network with multiple pc's and one ibook. All network connectivity works. Shared folders on my pc are accessible to my iBook, and all PCs can print to shared printers (i have multiple printers).

So, I go through the steps to add a printer to iBook,
    I add a windows printer,
    I can see my workgroup,
    I can then see machines in that workgroup,
    I select a machine that has a printer attached, but I see no printers in the list to select ??

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

OK, I did this exact same thing so I'm going to try and remember how it all worked.

I opened Printer Setup (applications -> utilities) and added a printer either through the default browser or the network printing thing (I seem to remember a fair bit of just stuffing around) until I found the shared printer I was looking for.

I then had to make sure I had the right type of printer driver so I just looked for the name closest to that of the printer I was trying to add.

After that it all worked fine.

Just make absolutely sure that the printer is shared on the XP machine.

3. CompUser Guest

The printer's sharing name has to be less than either 10 or 12 characters.

I'm having trouble connecting mine, my powerbook sees the printer but it cannot print to it because it says "Access_Denied" in the print box thingy that pops up after you press print.

I also tried manually setting up the printer with my PCs IP address, username, printer name, but that failed too.

So much for printer sharing with PCs...

4. VanMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

VanMac

No Good.

As mentioned, I see the computers in my workgroup, but I do not see a printer under that PC.

Anyone Else??

5. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

well if you can't get it to work buy a network printer server. since you have multiple printers this might be the correct and easiest choice for you. they are designed to worked with appletalk and regular old windows printing. appletalk printers are a snap to configure on the mac. just be sure to enable appletalk in network perferences.

http://www.dlink.com/products/category.asp?cid=10&sec=0

6. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

Try creating a user account on the PC that matches the powerbook's user account.

7. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

Hello.

I'm having trouble printing to a printer connected to my windows xp pro machine from my new 12" iBook.

I've gone through the instructions for setting up printers, and read the few posts on this forum. I still have the same issue, so maybe someone can help.

I have a wireless network with multiple pc's and one ibook. All network connectivity works. Shared folders on my pc are accessible to my iBook, and all PCs can print to shared printers (i have multiple printers).

So, I go through the steps to add a printer to iBook,
    I add a windows printer,
    I can see my workgroup,
    I can then see machines in that workgroup,
    I select a machine that has a printer attached, but I see no printers in the list to select ??

What make and model printer is it?

8. VanMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

VanMac

I have an HP R80xi connect to a WinXP box, and I have a Dell printer (A910 or something...) connected to dell winxp box.

I can see the machines, and print from one pc to the other....just cant get the iBook to see one of these printers......

9. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

HP R80xi has no driver support for OS X from HP, try this driver as it supports the R80 click here

Gimp Print also supports the R80 click here

The Dell won't be supported - but try a hp laserjet driver with it as that may work.

10. VanMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Hey.
    OK, so, I've installed the program above to supports the hp printers. I'm not really sure what to do next. I do not see any printers when I go to add a printer. I see the windows computers on the network, but once I select that machine, I just get an empty list box....no printers to select.....

I hate to think I have to buy a seperate printer just to print from my iBook... Any help appreciated.

11. VanMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

VanMac

No....thanks....that manual entry might just be what I need.
    I will try tonight from home....

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew