Printing uses all of CPU?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Daveway, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Is it normal that printing something uses nearly 100% the CPU for printing a simple text document? This was never the case on my PC.

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

It probably depends a bit on the printer driver and app you're printing from, but generally yes. I suppose the theory is you might as well render the page as quickly as possible so the printer isn't waiting for the computer (which I've seen, and it's sort of sad).

Keep in mind that if the priority of the printer task isn't very high, it doesn't mean much that it's using 100% of the processor, as the OS will give priority (instantly, without you noticing) to any other application that asks for it.

This is how SETI@Home works, for example--it's always using all available processor, but will immediately give it to whatever app asks for it.

3. mattroberts macrumors regular

mattroberts

I had the same issue with my HP network printer.

For some reason when my computer used to start up it would use 100% of my CPU. No idea why but some new drivers fixed the issue. Before that i would just stop it from starting up in the first place with my account preference settings for my user.

i'd contact the printer company or get the latest drivers if you haven't already.

cheers
    m

4. Daveway thread starter macrumors 68040

Daveway

Panther did one of those miracle installs for it. You know when you odnt have to go looking for a driver.
    Canon i950