Printing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mynameismatt89, Nov 10, 2006.

1. mynameismatt89 macrumors 6502

Hey

Ok, i have a Lexmark X1155 printer set up in a network but could never print to it. I had to go to the computer with a flash drive , open the document on that computer and print it from there. Just now, ive been trying to get my laptop to print to the printer. It is compatible because when i take the usb cord from the computer that the printer is hooked up to and put it into my laptop, i am able to print stuff from my laptop. How can i get it so that i can print from the network?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. mynameismatt89 thread starter macrumors 6502

i should probably say that mine is a mac, and the other two are both windows computers

3. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

How is it connected to the network? Is it connected to a PC and then shared out through the network? Is it connected to something like a jetdirect (USB to ethernet network adapter)?

Its not a networkable printer as far as I know, meaning it doesn't have an ethernet port on it.

4. mynameismatt89 thread starter macrumors 6502

the main computer has the router, the other one has the printer, and i have nothing. what can i do?

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

So the printer is connected directly to a Windows machine and you're using a Mac on the same network? You can connect to the printer in Tiger using this method or use this similar method in Panther. Does this help? :)

6. mynameismatt89 thread starter macrumors 6502

Unfortunately that did not work. When i chose the workgroup, nothing came up. Ill just forget about this and contintue with what ive always been doing.

Thanks for all the help though guys.

7. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Windows networking still needs a little bit of work, especially when the Mac is connecting to the PC. It has come a long way since the first versions of OS X, but it still needs work. Its not as easy as it should be, and when you do get it working it can be unreliable.*

One option would be to get something like an AirPort Express, which has a USB port built into it. You could plug that into the router or switch if you have one and then any computer on that network could print to that printer.*

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If you're not finding the printer, then maybe check this out too. :)

9. mynameismatt89 thread starter macrumors 6502

alright, thanks alot guys, it still doesn't seem to be working and i dont want to have to buy anything.

Matt

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Just to check, the printer is set up to be shared, right? Can the other PC print to this printer? Maybe try running the sharing wizard on the PC with the printer again to see if that jolts things into action. :)