Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by coconn06, Nov 25, 2003.

1. coconn06 macrumors regular

Jun 14, 2003
    King of Prussia, PA
    This may be a problem specific to Lexmark printers and Mac OS X, but with Jaguar and earlier versions printing to a Lexmark printer is painfully slow (using a Z65 now, used to have a Z3x). Has anyone found any performance increases relative to this problem after upgrading to Panther (haven't upgraded yet)?

2. joeyjojoe macrumors regular

Jun 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    i have a samsung ml-1710 and not only is the printing slow, but the print quality is terrible (i've tried it on a windows system and the print is fine there). i think its the drivers ... and i'm pretty sure i have the latest.
  3. lmstudio macrumors newbie

Dec 15, 2003
    Slow printing

I'm trying to get this info out to all of you who are experiencing the EXCRUTIATINGLY SLOW PRINTING PROBLEM:

Apple says that if your printer is old enough not to have updated OSX-compatible drivers and runs through Gimp Print drivers, and/or you use a parallel to USB adapter, they will not help you.

Maybe there's someone out there who can help us, but it's not Apple.
  4. Stinkysteve macrumors member

Dec 21, 2002
    Westchester County, NY
    I have an epson stylus color 740i and have the same problems. Text is just fine, but Photoshop files are dog slow and awful in quality. The Epson website says it's supported in OS X. I contacted NAPP (National Association of Photoshop Professionals) and after the third e-mail I was told to buy a new printer.
    Being broke, this is not an option now. So for now I save everything to my external hard drive and print it through my old Pismo in OS 9.2.
  5. j33pd0g macrumors 6502

Mar 20, 2003
    Central NY
    Well, I'll admit first that my Lexmark was an el' cheapo... however, after upgrading to Panther my Lexmark Z12 would no longer function. I emailed Lexmark Technical Support about updated drivers and this is what they had to say:

Thank you for contacting Lexmark. Regarding this issue with the printer, I
    would like to tell you that this printer is out of production. So Apple
    must try to make compatible drivers for z12.

I bought the hp deskjet 5150 and I love it.