Printserver and my All-in-one printer

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mfacey, Feb 5, 2005.

1. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

I'm moving into a new place soon together g-friend and I really want to get everything wireless in the house. I have an Epson CX6600 printer/scanner/copier which i would really like to be able to use with my powerbook and my girlfriend's Dell running WinXP.
    I have some q's with regards to this:
    1. Will the dell be able to print on the printer when it is hooked up to my mac?
    2. Will my mac be able to print on the printer when it is hooked up to the dell?
    3. See above, but then replace "print" with "scan".
    4. If I get a wireless printserver will I be able to scan from both computers using the printserver?

If you have any alternative suggestions I'd be happy to hear them.

Thanks!

2. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

Shouldn't be any problem printing - the printserver needs to be set up with an IP address similar to the other m/c's on the network. You'll use CUPS on the mac, and just install the WinXP driver on the Dell.
    I doubt that you'll be able to scan over the network - there aren't many scanners that can do that - the scanner driver software might have an option to hook up via an IP address but I doubt it. Try emailing Epson tech support.
    To get full functionality from the CX6600 I think you'll have to connect it to one of your two machines. Then you can scan onto the m/c its connected to and transfer the file over the network.
    If you decide to swop the printer over to the other machine, you'll have to install the printer again, because when you print you have to tell the software application the location of the printer.

3. mfacey thread starter macrumors 65816

mfacey

Hey thanks for your answer! It'll be a big help!

One last thing though. If I hook up the printer to my mac will the dell pc be able to print with it (through the network)? I've only used printer sharing with amongst win pc's at my work and never tried it with a mac and win pc together.