Privalite Glass

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Feb 19, 2004.

1. iGav macrumors G3

love this stuff... ;) love to use it when I design and build my own home... :D

check out the touchscreen video... cool!

http://www.privalite.com/

2. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Curious that you have to turn it ON for it to behave like normal glass and OFF for it to do its magic.

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

yeah, this stuff is pretty cool. several car companies are putting it to use in auto-dimming mirrors and sunroofs. Maybach's cars actually have skylights in them that rely on this. personally i don't understand why it's not more than a novelty in construction, tho that seems to be changing.

paul

4. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Damned cool. I wonder how many freaks out in Hollywood either have or are gonna get this? :eek: :D

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I saw this used on an episode of This Old House (or something like that). This home in a big city had a glass wall facing the street. The owners usually kept it clear, but when they needed privacy, they could instantly switch it on.

6. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

the first I saw of it was in the Tom Hanks film 'Philadelphia', when he walks into the boardroom the directors ask him to switch the glass before they fire him, that's when it turns translucent... I was like 'corr that's cool', but because the internet was in it's infancy back then, I couldn't find out what the stuff was, or how it worked.

A couple of years ago I eventually found out what the it was, and it's only through talking about designing and building my own home with a friend last night that it cropped up again, hence why I moochy'd on back to the their site to see some of the new touch-screen goodies!

Good stuff I say... ;)