Private browsing isn’t working

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by XFce, Oct 15, 2006.

1. XFce macrumors member

Feb 17, 2006
    I ran a browser variability test at This website here are the results

While visiting web sites your browser reveals private information about you and your computer. It sends information about previous sites you have visited. It may also save special cookies on your hard drive that have the purpose of directing advertising or finding out your habits while web surfing.

Dose anyone know how to make safaris PB feature private ?
  2. Sesshi macrumors G3

Jun 3, 2006
    One Nation Under Gordon
    Private Browsing isn't an internet security feature, i.e. cookies, etc will be treated in the same way. Private Browsing is so that e.g. your wife doesn't find out that you're looking at donkey sex sites. All it does is not keep traces of sites you've visited.
  3. steelfist macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2005
    yeah, great feature isn't it?

if you want even more security, you can trash the history.plist (search it on spotlight), and open safari. there's a new history.plist, and you can chose properties and lock it. it's even better in case somebody else clicks on the history menu.

i'm serious, there's no other reason for private browsing other than what the previous poster mentioned.
  4. atszyman macrumors 68020

Sep 16, 2003
    The Dallas 'burbs
    I can think of one legitimate reason to use private browsing. Let's say you were on vacation and suddenly needed to transfer funds to your checking account or pay a bill you forgot to mail before leaving. If you get on a public computer, you can turn on private browsing, and once you finish your transactions you can turn it off and the next person who uses the computer cannot use the history to back trace which financial institutions you do business with. Not something you're generally concerned about on your own computer but when dealing with computers everyone has access to, it can be a nice feature.
  5. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    donkey sex sites?
  6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Yes, that's basically it. In a similar vein if you have a guest account that several people actually use, it might make sense to keep Safari in private mode on that account so that it stays clean and you don't have to worry about each person leaving behind stuff in Safari....

P.S. cookies are not really a problem... I don't understand why that test site makes such a big deal about them. As long as you don't have a vector in for adware, cookies are not particularly malevolent. On the other hand, I'm kind of surprised Firefox doesn't have more features related to preventing referrer information from being sent out. Particularly to sites of a different domain or for that matter whenever you navigate from site A to site B by any means that doesn't involve clicking a link on that page.
  7. XFce thread starter macrumors member

Feb 17, 2006
    Hi everybody thanks for the replies
    The reason why I made this thread is because I am getting spam emailed to death. I’m gonna twink the finder and see if that method will prevent websites that use referees and tracking cookies from gaining access to my email and IP address.
  8. dpaanlka macrumors 601

Nov 16, 2004

You're worried that visiting sites gives them you're email address?
  9. macing macrumors newbie

Jul 9, 2009
    capture the browsing history

curiously i am just asking is there is anyway to capture the browsing history after clear the history and cookies on macbook.Can some one help me in this regard please.
  10. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Mar 20, 2009
    Near London, UK.
    Then you are barking up the wrong tree. This isn't how your email gets circulated.