Private Browsing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rockandrule, Jun 28, 2005.

1. rockandrule macrumors 6502

Aug 3, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    I just got my shiny new PowerBook yesterday, and one setting I just can't seem to make stay is the Private Browsing setting. I hate having my computer save data that is not needed, especially history. Is there any way to make the Private Browsing in Safari permanent? I looked through the manual and it seems that it is just a one time thing that would have to be loaded up each time I surf. If I cannot do this through Safari, can I do it through any other browsers, such as Firefox or Camino?

Thanks for the help.
  2. dsharits macrumors 68000

Jun 19, 2004
    The People's Republic of America
    Private Browsing is automatically turned off when Safari closes, and I havent found any way to make it stick in the preferences. As far as I know, no other browser has Private Browsing.
  3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Haven't tried this, but you may try quitting Safari and open and type: defaults write WebKitPrivateBrowsingEnabled -bool YES

Edit: Odd... the preference file says that WebkitPrivateBrowsingEnabled is on (YES), but Safari is still in regular mode... :confused:

Edit2: And when toggling Private Browsing on and off again the preference is changed to NO... I guess that Safari doesn't read that particular preference during startup... :(

Edit3: Check out this thread, not a solution, but worth a giggle... ;)