private folders anyone? please help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by juanster, Mar 30, 2007.

1. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

hello everyone, i just got my fist mac, and now i have a lot of stuff in it, but there are certain pictures, videos and files that are very personal, since this is the first mac in the family, everyone, my dad my little sister, and mom will be playing and exploring mac os x and i don t mind them using it at all, don't care about my parents seeing my files but i don't want my lil sister to be able to, is there anyway to create a folder where i can keep my stuff and that it will ask for a password in case you try to open it or something like it? thanx in advance guys and gurls

p.s: i love my mac

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

In Disk Utility, create a disk image with a password by setting the Encryption to AES-128. Make it a sparse disk image too, so it'll only take up as much space as it needs. :)

3. juanster thread starter macrumors 68020

juanster

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

No worries mate. Just remember to eject the disk image after use. :cool:

5. portent macrumors 6502a

It's a much, much better idea to create separate user accounts for other users, and apply limits to those accounts as necessary.

Not only does this protect your files, but it prevents them from (deliberately or accidentally) deleting your files/applications, changing your settings, and generally screwing things up.