Private or Catholic Schools?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by irain, Nov 23, 2005.

1. irain macrumors regular

irain

Has anyone here ever attended a private or Catholic school? What did you like or not like about it?

I've attended Catholic, and now I attend private. I can't really say what's different from public school because I've never been in a public school environment. But I've noticed that it's very easy for me to get involved in school because our classes are so small. And our teachers are very intelligent. Most of them are actually doctors, or have some form of a phd. My biggest class is algebra, which has 13 kids. At Catholic school, we obviously were taught religon and wore uniforms. In my current private school there is no religion taught, although you can take religious studies (a course that samples and inspects all religions). And we also don't have to wear uniforms. We just have a dress code. Polo shirts, khakis etc. But my experience in private and Catholic schools has been wonderful overall. My only problem is that people always compare themselves to other people for stupid reasons (such as the size of their house, what their parents do for jobs, what kind of car their parents drive). I mean, my parents are well off I guess. But I just don't understand why people compare themselves to other people for stupid senseless reasons such as that. Pretty pointless if you ask me. It's a persons personality, not material belongings that matter in my opinion.

But yeah, what do you guys think about private/Catholic schools?

2. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Well I have been attending the International College Spain, a private high school for the past 6 years and before that I was in PS 40 in new york. I prefer private schools because of better facilities and the small class size(around 20 in my school). My school is pretty expensive at around $16,000 a year so I know the peolpe attending arent poor but people dont seem to compare eachother for those reasons, my praents dont own a car and my house isnt very big, a lot of people in my school seem to think if you dont smoke weed your not cool, but this is to a pretty small scale, for the most part we get along but there are a few buttholes here and there, also our dress code is lax, no rips or holes in clothes and no offensive shirts, no tattoos or deyed hair.

3. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

ibook30

I went to a private school, then public.

The private school had the most to offer in academic education . Public school taught me street smarts. I like both, need more of both!

4. itgoesbuzz macrumors regular

i went to public school from k-6, then catholic from 7-12.

It depends on the area. the public schools in my area (royal oak, michigan,middle schools at least, 7th and 8th grade) are not very good. so private school was very good for me academically. In high school i felt that the academics between my private school and my friends in public school evened out. i didnt understand where my parents tuition dollars were going, i didnt feel like my education was any better than my friends in the public school. Looking back i wish i went to public high school and saved my parents some money, but they wanted me in private schools because of my citys bad public school rep.

But really it depends on the area...some cities (Plymouth Canton School District) are excellent others like mine (Royal Oak, Mi) have a bad rep.

what i liked about public school was wearing what i wanted (childish yes). and it also seemed more relaxed. at private school i felt like i was being watched and i had no freedom, detentions for untucked shirts? are you kidding me? they also pressed catholic religion on me which made me not very happy. my family is not wealthy but that never stopped me from being friends with everyone...but you could tell who was wealthy and who wasnt. i met my greatest friends in public but i made great friends in private too.

overall id just say public or private depends on the area....if the public schools are thought to be good then public is the way to go, unless private school offers something more than public school can.

5. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

Same thing for me. I wouldn't say it was the schools fault as much as it was mine. In high school I didn't see the need to try hard since I was having a good time and getting good grades. Being a freshman in college now I wish I would have applied myself and taken some AP courses.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I went to a public school until I was twelve and then moved to a private one. I really appreciate the sacrifices my parents made in sending me there and I hope to one day send my future children to a similar school. :)

7. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

I finished school many years ago and attended Catholic elementary and high school. Since I am not a parent, educational issues are not followed all that closely, but I always enjoyed school in my day.

Regrettably, my most vivid memory happens to revolve around when I received a thunderous slap across the face in my junior year of HS that left me with ringing in my ears for the better part of a week. I was leaning out of my seat to follow answers to math problems on the board because the person in front of me was several inches taller.

That assault was delivered by a religious lay faculty member, a stocky and formidable man named Brother Cletus. His frightening reputation resulted in him being referred to as "Eat Us, Cletus." I never mentioned the incident at home because I knew the confrontation that likely would have ensued.

As years passed, I realized it was a mistake not to mention it, but the school was very quick to suspend students and side with teachers. I had already changed schools after my freshman year due to a family move and did not want the hassle of any further disruption, regardless of the reason.

8. betty02 macrumors regular

betty02

I went to what you may call a 'normal school' ?????!!!!!!????? not to sure, but anyways its not private, my brother gowes to a prive school Rossal In Blackpool, i had the chnace to go, but it's just not me, work is what i wanted :p

9. mpw Guest

Is you post a sarcastic example of you State education or wot?

10. betty02 macrumors regular

betty02

i don't see what i did wrong?:confused:

I wasn't too sure of a word to use for a what i called 'normal school, hense all the question marks, i don't see what you sarcastic remark was all about, i had the chnacem and don't get me wrong still do have the chance to go to a public school, but i chose to work instead, i don't understand your problem with that?

Anyway thanks for pointing out a 'normal school?????!!!!!????' is a State school (although we have a diffrent name for it in the UK, still trying to think of it):(

11. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

I went to private schools in England since I was three years old! In fairness, it wasn't so much of a choice than a necessity...my nursery group was insistant that I was ready for "proper" schooling, and yet to go to a state school you had to be five at the time...so private was the only option.

I think, for me the main clear benefit was that if I hadn't have gone into private education, there is no way that I would have attained the results I have under my belt now. During my teens I was very easily led by others - and it took the school that I was at to constantly sit down with me and go through my options; where I was going wrong, and likely outcomes if I carried on the way I was!! So then, for me, the benefit was having that one-to-one time that private schooling gives you! It worked for me, and I would send my kids to such a school in the future should my financial position allow of course.

12. mpw Guest

Don't sweat it, my comment was tongue-in-cheek.

added
    deleted
    amended

Not that it really bothers me but I'm sure there'll be a spelling or grammar Nazi about who can find more.(with both yours and mine)

I think the term you're probably thinking of is comprehensive skool.

13. Melkor macrumors 6502

I went to a private secondary school. Where I'm from there isn't really a big difference between private and public schools. Sure the private schools have slightly better facilities, but the government does a good enough job looking after our public schools.

14. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Private Catholic school my entire life... senior year now. I think I have received the best education possible in the Tokyo area. The school holds a good balance between morality and fun, neither strict nor carefree. The teachers aren't the brightest, and the same can be said about the students, but there is a great range, its seems. There are a few teachers who I just listen to in awe during lectures, and there are those I wonder how they got the job. As it is an international school, the school doesn't enforce religion on the kids, i.e. we are not forced to go to masses or memorize prayers. And it didn't really subconsciously sink in, either, as it turns out I'm a hardcore atheist.

The only annoyance I have encountered is my current twelfth grade English teacher. He's the first Brother we have had as a teacher (all other Brothers are principals, or they just hang around doing nothing), and he makes us read awful literature like Fromm's The Art of Loving and Maugham's Of Human Bondage, and dwells too much on the subject of God. It gets my blood boiling, seeing him take for granted that everyone believes in the concept and try to twist the words of the book to make it seem like the author does so, too. I'm the only one who tries to protest, to argue, but he just refuses to discuss further, saying I am insulting his intelligence. Hah! And he's the one who makes us read Plato's Gorgias and tells us the "dialogue is the passage to truth"! Hypocrite!

Hehe, sorry about that, just had to vent... :D Otherwise, yeah, pretty good school. But definitely not a place for the truly gifted children to go to.

irmongoose

15. Sathos macrumors regular

k-6 public, 7-now (grade 12) catholic. The school I attend is basically like a public school with an added religion class each year, a mass maybe once or twice a year, better education, and teachers who actually care about their students. No uniforms required, as long as our clothing isn't tattered or really revealing. Switching from the public to the catholic school system is something I have never regretted!

16. CompUser Guest

I toured a private school for a day a few weeks ago because I might go to one next year because my parents might want to move closer to my dad's work. To me, it did not seem that different than my current public school. I guess thats because there are about 450 people in my school, and I am taking all honors classes so my classes are generally small. There are about 14 people in my science class, 15 in my geometry class, 16 in my english class, and 13 in my world civ class.

My school in "disrepair" according to the teachers about 6 years ago. They invested millions of dollars and now it is a beautiful school. We had a conference where teachers around the school to teach them our school policy of why every thursday is a delayed opening (for teachers to meet and make plans). Our most prized part of our school is our auditorium which is very nice and a 2 story rotunda with a giant stature of a bear carved our of wood (our school mascot).

My school has never seemed to fit that stereotype of a public school where everyone is crazy and stupid. There are still people who talk about money and material possessions. My parents are fairly well off, I mean my mom is a pediatrician and my dad is a VP of a company. I think its rude when people start talking about me and in front of me and say "erik's is rich house is so big and they have a touareg and he has like 100000 computers (haha, no I only have two that I use). That might be so but my parents are never home, when I was little my dad was never the coach of a little league team or b-ball team or a soccer team while other parents were.

17. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    I went to a private high school in America and this was my experience...

All the public schools kept sending there "troubled" kids to our little private catholic high school because they thought we would be a good influence on them...before long we had a big crew of "troubled" kids..

and they all instantly became my friends...so we were very bad, and caused a ton of problems.

good times....great oldies..