Private Schools

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iHatePCs, Feb 26, 2005.

1. iHatePCs macrumors member

iHatePCs

Hey, I was just curious about what you guys think about private/public schools. I go to a small independant private day school in South Hamilton, MA. What are your opinions about private schools? Also, what do you think the advantages and/or disadvantages about private/public schools are? Would you prefer to go to a religious private school, or an independant private school? Thanks!

p.s. does anyone else here attend a private high school/college?

heres some pics of my school if your interested...

Attached Files:

• rpic.jpg
      rpic.jpg
      File size:
      14.3 KB
      Views:
  2. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Thats a mighty fine looking school (much better looking than my school). I go to a private, nonreligious school. It has its ups and down but in all honesty the education level is superior to public high schools. Its just small and thats an environment thats hard for people to get used to and doesnt make a trasition to a large university necessarily easy.

3. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I went to a semi-private school for primary/secondary schooling. It's a private school in that it acts and looks like a private school. Small too. But it does receive the public state funding. It's probably one of the most beautiful school campus around.

I'm now in a small, public university.

4. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

I go to Rainelle Christian Academy in Rainelle, WV...

It has a number of advantages, at least present in my school:

- The teachers have more time to spend with each individual student, ensuring they understand what's being taught

- You get to know every student in the school in about a year's time, something I don't think anybody could do in today's huge, overcrowded public schools

- You get to know the teachers on a much more personal level

- Less gossip

To give you an idea how small my school is, there's only 6 kids in my class (10th grade) - it's really kind of nice.

5. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I've been in private Catholic schools my whole life. I will be going to a state college though.
    I like the private system because the students are more "tamed" and the school is not dictated by the state. I have a cousin who teaches in public school and i'm horrified by what I hear. BUT, private school is not free. My high school tuition right now $5,300 per year. :eek:

My parents are obviously good to me.

6. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I went to a prestigious, private elemetary school (Michael Dell's daughter went there, too :p), and my thoughts are that if there is a good public school in your area (check school-wide scores, and other statistics) then send you child there. If there are none in your area that get close to the private schools, then the private school will work. But I recommend a public school because they (usually) have larger student bodies, so there is less group forming, and cliquishness. I enjoy the social atmosphere at my high school much more than I did at my elementary school, and I go to a very good public school, so the education is more than satisfactory.

scem0

7. iHatePCs thread starter macrumors member

iHatePCs

You think $5,300 is bad. Try watching your parents try getting by by paying $25,000 for high school tuition :eek:

8. iHatePCs thread starter macrumors member

iHatePCs

I actually would have rather gone to Phillips Academy... since it's somewhat near where I live. But my parents didn't think it was worth $35,000. Hey, $10,000 is alot more! lol :eek:

9. RealDeal macrumors member

Australia & UK Perspectives

Using generalizations, based upon high school 20 years ago(!)
    > the Australian public system (state-run) tended to be much superior to the private and often reglious schools (real-world, better technology, mixed cultures, better sports, better academic results, more competititon including entrance by competitive exam- 150 accepted from 1800 applicants) [North Sydney Boys High School http://www.nsbhs.nsw.edu.au/nsbhs.php?area=home ]. .. My dad taught at several private schools- so some first hand experience...
    > The UK system has a range of privately-funded schools (confusing called public) that vary in quality, with generally most being better than the state-funded alternatives. Traditionally the predominantly Catholic schools have offered a middle-ground education. I was at the King's School Chester http://www.kingschester.co.uk/index.html - similar <10% chance to get in via entrance exam, good facilities, and international rowing networking etc.. . Ties to public schools can last decades with old boys wearing by-then undersized blazers at sports events (e.g. Henley Royal Regatta). It's worth noting that the US$10k-15k fees are often paid by the government by a scholarship- something like 30% of students didn't pay a dime (myself included).

Both at the time were day schools of the single-sex variety, so lots of being beaten up by girls at bus-stops getting home!!

Both examples in Uk (public) and Australia (state) offer benefits in getting to a top-ranking university (say top 5%) through understanding the system, and helping with your application process. Personally my stronger links are now with the universities that i got my degrees at (all co-op- BEng, MBA, PhD), rather than a 500 year old high school. :D

10. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

:shudders:
    Dude, your parents are awesome and obviously well off. Considering for a few thousand more you can go to Tulane University.

11. iHatePCs thread starter macrumors member

iHatePCs

BTW, don't get me wrong or anything, but I'm sure there are a handful of public schools where you can get just as equal of an education and many times even better. Also, it depends on what you want, just because a private school costs money doesn't mean its better. It also depeneds on what type of environment you want to be in. So its your choice (and your parents) for whether or not you want to attend a public or private school.
    :D

12. iHatePCs thread starter macrumors member

iHatePCs

Compared to some we might appear well off, but truly we aren't. My parents have a pretty hard time paying that tuition (not a pretty sight during the begining of Sept lol). Their just really hard working people. Also, going to a school like mine means me (along with all of my friends there) hardly ever see or get to spend much time with their parents on a count of that they are working like 24/7 :( There are always downsides as well as upsides to attending a private school.

13. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i went k-12 and junior college public school

ba degree finished from private college and some grad school, plus trade school at private computer repair school

private school gives you better attention thru smaller classes and connections

public school is cheaper and instruction is often as good

14. iHatePCs thread starter macrumors member

iHatePCs

Your right, with private schools the thing that makes most parents want their kids to attend is the small classes. My classes usually have about 7 or 8 kids. :eek:

15. iHatePCs thread starter macrumors member

iHatePCs

The only thing that really ticks me off about private schools are that the wicked rich kids are pretty snobby (but some are nice). Actually some of them are really mean, they made a list of rich/middle/poor kids (ridiculous) :mad: It didn't really bother me cause my name was middle, but for the other kids that were on it, thats just mean. I don't think anyone should be judged by financial means. :mad:

16. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

i don't c the point of private schools.. yea there fine w/e... i went to one for a year during my elementary school days... then transfered to a public elementary school and met some real friends there... in my area there are a few private high schools, but for me, i think public schools are fine.. i mean why do parents spend all that money on private schools for? just to end up going to a public college? lol, i mean heck just get the grades in public school and you can make it to a uc school and the like.. now if ur into religious than do ur thing, but i feel that if ur sending a kid to private school just to make him "proper", well thats messed up.. when he see's that place we call the real world he's going to get one big ol' slap in the face. ;)

17. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Only two things bug me about my private school:

- Dress code. Guys are only allowed to wear polo shirts with khaki pants, girls polo shirt and khaki skirt. I hear this will be getting stricter, with only uniforms allowed next year :eek: :(

- Very low electronics tolerance. iPods, CD players, and cell phones are taboo in the school. Even my TI-86 graphing calculator was almost banned when they found out it could play games...

18. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

religious?

or lip service to a religious institution?

the state university i went to originally had some ties to the mormon church and thus affects why the campus is still a dry campus

the private university i went to was originally started by the christian ymca but by the time i went there, the school had parted its ways with the organization

i am now considering two private law schools...one secular and the other a christian institution who has strong ties with its religious base...while i believe i can mesh well with either school, i hope the religious school doesn't expect me to be a card carrying member of the republican party ;)

19. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

There is the problem that private schools take money (and the energy of people who obviously value education) away from public schools (it doesn't actually work that schools "get the money anyway"; public schools are usually funded on a per-student basis, so if they have fewer students they recieve less funding). There are also private schools that are absolute crap that are set up just to take advantage of the voucher system.

I went to a private school for the reasons some have mentioned: small class size, personal attention and enthusiasm of teachers, and so on. Also, I come from a city with, for the most part, a public education system that has a great many problems.

20. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

I LOVE MY CHRISTIAN SCHOOL!

I am surrounded by happy people!! Everyday I meet new people and they are all so nice. This is the best time of my life and there is only one thing I don't like about this school; there is a very narrow and tall speed bump at the entrance. Our leaders are very reliant upon God and trust Him to do great things, which He has done. This place started from scratch in 1962 as the first liberal arts Christian school in Canada, and is now the largest in the country. Our professorts are top notch, and they are not here for money. We have one of the highest level of professors with doctorate degrees and they are amazingly intelligent. I find the coolest thing is that since we have an average class size of around 25, I can always talk to the professor. I often walk around campus talking with them. Also, the department heads are required to teach the first year students, so I NEVER have a TA teaching my classes. The whole environment and faculty make this place great. I could not be happier anywhere else. I have gone to a few public schools to visit friends, and everytime I do, I miss my home school!! GO TRINITY WESTERN UNIVERSITY!! TWU is the best. Go private schools, it's awesome getting personal with your profs.

21. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

yeah in the end it all depends on your major in collage and in short most private school suck when it comes to my major and I know for a fact you Univeristy sucks big time for my major (And I woudl be honestly surpised if it even offerd it.

For k-12 it more up in the air. When it comes to university it all depends on the major and what you want to learn. In the area of art Private are the best. when it comes to math, sciences, archtechure ,engineering and so on it go to a public school. Inside the majors the class sizes are smaller and you get to know you profs and over the semster you have them multiple times over and you get oknow them pretty well.

22. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I went to parochial schools from 1st grade until I graduated high school.

IMO, they're overrated. I could have gotten a much better education out of one of the public school districts in my area. Private schools have a hard time attracting quality professional teachers because they can't match the salary, , tenure, pension and other benefits that state school systems can offer them.

23. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

Well, I've been in Catholic Private school all my life. From Pre-school, and now I'm a junior at Xavier High School. I really love the experience of private schools. I get to know my teachers, and I know every one of the 550 people that go to my school. It's really great to know everyone and have such a close knit school. It's especially awesome at sports events with other schools. Like last Thursday. We had a playoff game against our biggest rival, the local Lutheran school. Our gym was packed, and everyone was together on cheers and stuff. We lost 40-42, missing a last second shot. But I was a great time anyway. I've been to public school games, and they're just not the same.

24. chanoc macrumors 6502

chanoc

Landover Baptist True Christian School!

[​IMG]

I went to Landover Baptist Christian School, home of the true christians! cost of attendance was 100,000 a year, but the money went straight to the lord! We had none of that Satanic secular education, no sir! .We Believe in the WHOLE Bible (1611 KJV).We don't throw out the parts that make us feel uncomfortable, like the book of Leviticus. We bid you greetings, friend.* We do not read, eat, consume, digest, or 'try on' any product that is not made and manufactured by born-again, Bible believing, Fundamentalist Baptist Christians, and we would have you know that we condemn anyone that does, and pray as King David did, 'against them' for a quick end and a speedy journey to a very hot place, where they can spend out all eternity honoring our Lord and Maker in a literal lake of fire, Amen. None of that evil-u-tion, we learned that the earth was flat and a talking snake tempted Eve and women were forever cursed! All the student body were true christians, none of those yellow-belly, so-called liberal christians! We got whipped once a week to humble ourselves to Jesus!

To find out more about were the true christians go to school, may Jesus direct you to: Landover Baptist, Home of the True Christians!

25. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

I've got no problem with private schools. If some people want to hire a building and some teachers and start a school why not? Good luck to them.

Also there's something very "1984" about the government running the schools...