Pro Applications Universal Crossgrade

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Phat_Pat, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

has anyone heard of when the universal's will ship?... besides "march"... its "march" now...

apple is offering the Crossgrade forms on their website

has anyone sent in the form?

i'm getting antsy without my FCP...

2. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

I thought it was expected by end of March - so if you assume end of March, then you'll be a lot happier if it arrives before then.

I've just got off the phone with a supplier here in Canada, having ordered a copy of Motion-2. Once that arrives, I'll be sending it to Apple, along with the UB/upgrade form and CDN$239 for my UB Final Cut Studio - major savings. :)

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I was reading somewhere that the crossgrade will come through Software Update for free, but I only saw that one place.

4. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

That would surely be one HUGE update no? :eek:

I didn't think Apple was going to be supporting FCP for Universal Binary, unless it was part of Final Cut Studio, hence their promotion to get people to 'cheaply' upgrade from the individual apps, to the Studio package moving forward.

5. kineticpast macrumors member

The Final Cut Studio FAQ still says 'by the end of March'.

They definately were never going to be free crossgrades (other than Aperture, which will be free).

6. iGary Guest

iGary

The deal was, as I heard it, you swap discs with them.

How they will handle the logistics of this, I do not know.

7. Phat_Pat thread starter macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

ahh just found it on apple's site

Link

ughhh

8. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Details are provided on the page and download forms, in the link provided by the OP - or HERE.

9. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Thats only Aperture. All others will require sending in disks.

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Okay, that makes sense since Aperture is still a beta, being version 1.1. :eek:

11. Batcave macrumors newbie

I sent in my DVDs last week. The current order status for the Universal Binaries is "Backordered."

For those who care it is part number MA293ZM/A. Its name is "FINALCUT XGRADE."

Who knows when it will come...

12. mandoman macrumors 6502

mandoman

I've got my copy of Soundtrack Pro all ready to send in for the Universal Upgrade
    to Final Cut Studio. Only question is, does anyone think Final Cut Pro 6 will come out in April at NAB? How will that play into this whole upgrade scheme?

The crossgrade promotion is through till Dec.20, 2006, so, I'm thinking
    it might be better to wait to send in my Soundtrack disc until May to at least
    see if there is a direct upgrade path to FCP6.

What do you guys think?

13. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Sounds like a plan, if you're not in a hurry for the U-Bin version of Studio.

Unfortunately my order for Motion-2 fell through, as Apple cancelled it saying it was no longer available separately - having originally accepted the order made by the dealer.

14. mandoman macrumors 6502

mandoman

I'm in no hurry, as I am not upgrading to an intel mac for another year and can get by w/o the other apps for awhile. Guess it makes sense to wait. I just hope apple does not change the promotion negatively if I wait.

Cruise all of your local mac stores - Compusa, Microcenter, etc, that's where you'll find your copy of motion 2. That's how I got my copy of Soundtrack Pro after all the online retailer supplies were dried up.

15. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

There's a bit of a risk that Apple changes the promotion after the end of March.

I live in rural BC, Canada. Unfortunately there aren't any local Mac stores, certainly with software stock. I must have sent an email to every online/brickn'mortor store in the Apple Canada directory, no luck. A few thought they could get it, but not after they checked with their distribution channels.

I'm going to invest in FCStudio soon, but I'd like it to be the most up to date revision, assuming the price doesn't go higher.

Rumours suggest two versions will be coming out sometime this year. A new revision of studio with surround sound and amongst other things and an 'extreme' video-finishing version for substantially more $ and capabilities than current FCStudio