Pro Apps and Rosetta

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by juble, Dec 1, 2005.

1. juble macrumors newbie

I do alot of editing work on my 700Mhz emac and @ uni with Final Cut Pro etc and have need of a more portable system next year. My question is how well would the Pro Apps (in particular FCP) perform under Rosetta on say a dual core Yonah PB compared to a 1.67 G4 PB? Would there be any difference in speed? Would the new intels be handicapped because of the emulation? One thing that bugs me with my system is render times in FCP; what speeds would I be getting with an intel using PPC final cut pro under Rosetta?

With the new rumours about Altivec being included under Rosetta it could possibly sway my decision towards an Intel. As I have a moderate amount of PPC apps, do you think apple will provide an inexpensive system for upgrading to x86 apps or rebates for new software? Or will I be fine with my spftware as is?

Thanks for your help!
    :)

2. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

Apple will release FCP for intel when the intel macs come out, but if you want to use your current version of FCP which is PPC then it probably would be slow because of the emulation layer but I dont know wheter it will be faster or slower than a 1.67ghz PB.
    I guess nobody can tell until apple releases these machines.