pro keyboard volume control not working

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by swamp_cabbage, Oct 22, 2003.

1. swamp_cabbage macrumors newbie

Oct 22, 2003
    sometime this week the volume control on my pro keyboard stopped working.

you can hear the "pip" noise when you hit the louder / softer buttons on the keyboard but the level doesn't change. i am still on good terms with my mute control, however.

i have to resort to using the sound control in system preferences instead to increase or decrease the volume (sigh!)

i am running 10.2.8 and at about the same time as this problem occurred, I'd upgraded quicktime and think maybe it's the culprit, but before i waste a few hours playing sherlock holmes, i would like to know if anyone has had similar problems.

thanks in advance...
  2. gmanrique macrumors 6502

Oct 22, 2003
    Ottawa, Canada
    I had a problem, not 100 % like yours, but also speakers and volume keys related. It might also be related to the QT upgrade. Anyway, one thing that I know now is that the QT upgrade has problems with permissions. Run the check disk utility for your drive, and choose the option to Repair Permissions not Repair Drive. You will see a report with all the problems fixed, related to QT.

Not sure it will help but it is worth it to try it.
  3. hvs macrumors newbie

Jan 15, 2009
    Mac Pro keyboard volume controls not working

Try running "Audio MIDI Setup" (it's in your /Applications/Utilities/ folder) and make sure "Built-in Output" is selected there for your default and system outputs

Alternatively you can delete the preference file: /Users/username/Library/Preferences/

fixed it for me.