pro mouse is dying

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by mnkeybsness, Dec 16, 2002.

1. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

HELP

my pro mouse is in the process of going to the grave...

example: while i'm doing any random thing on my powermac suddenly the light on the pro mouse turns off and my mouse no longer will work at all...sometimes the light flashes on and off and doesn't respond to anything. but then suddenly after a few minutes it will start working again, or if i switch plugs on the keyboard it will work for a few minutes and then have the same effect...

...so i know that it's the mouse, not the keyboard that is having the problems

is this covered by apple? could i take it to an apple store and have it replaced?

PS i had the hardest time just getting into macrumors and making this thread...i think it took a good 10 minutes because my mouse died twice

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Apple will fix it if your computer is still under warranty, or if you have Applecare on that computer. Possible causes include, but are not limited to: Damaged cable, damaged USB bus, damaged USB passthrough on keyboard (have you tried plugging it directly into the computer?) and lastly, damaged internal components.

A new Pro mouse is something like $60, which isn't *too* bad (their standard mouse has always been that price) tho it could stand to come down. Perhaps look for a used or extra (new in box) mouse on eBay, you should find a nice deal...

:)
    pnw

3. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Heh, even though those things are so expensive, Apple seems to think of them as almost nothing... my friend just called Apple one day and said that his mouse broke, and they didn't even ask him to send it in, they just asked fo rhis address and said that they'll send him another one. And lo and behold, 2 days later there was an Apple Pro Mouse in his mailbox.

Apple seems to trust their customers... maybe a little too much :D

irmongoose

4. SmileyDude macrumors regular

SmileyDude

the pro mouse on my imac died in the same way... i think it's a problem with the machine in my case, because it killed a replacement Microsoft optical mouse as well. Right now, I have a Microsoft ball mouse (co-branded with Dell -- the horrors ;) ), and that's been working for months now. There must be something about the optical mice that causes my machine to kill them.

Also, I have a bad port on the keyboard as well -- it wouldn't surprise me that the keyboard is the source of the problem, but since I don't need the port, I haven't bothered to fix it yet.

5. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

I had the same exact symptoms with my macally mouse on my tibook.

Something was wrong with the mouse causing it to short out the USB ports. It would work fine for a minute then blink and eventually the light would go off. I'd then plug it into another usb port and it would blink and stop working again. I would then restart, the mouse would work for about a minute or two and do the same thing again. At first i thought my usb ports had died....

So I grabbed the logitech off my pc, shutdown the mac and plugged it in, rebooted. No problems since. I tried the macally mouse once more a week later and it wouldn't work, so i tossed it. I'm now eye balling the logitech mx500...

If you have another mouse(or can borrow one) i would suggest shutting down the computer and then plugging in a working mouse and see if the problem persists. My bet is that the mouse is bad. But its a good excuse to pick up a good mouse like the logitech mx500 or mx700(if you want wireless)...

6. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

back when i used to use XP on my old comp with my intellimouse optical, the mouse would shut off in the middle of nowhere (stupid xp drivers), but on other os's such as winblowz 98, it would never do that...
    i'm already used to using the trackpad/mouse on the ibook, but i miss using the optical mouse...but i keep forgetting to put it on the comp

7. mnkeybsness thread starter macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

ok so it's definately my keyboard taht is causing the problems...i think it's the ports that i'm plugging the mouse into because i jsut brought my mouse down to my friend's room and plugged the it into his PC and it's working like normal...my computer is covered under applecare right now since i bought the computer at teh end of july...i don't have all my stuff with me at college...does anyone know the number for applecare?

8. mnkeybsness thread starter macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

so definately i called apple today and they are shipping me a new mouse...and not making me send back the defect!

that makes me really happy...for now..i am borrowing a logitech optical wheel mouse...it's just that it's not the same as my beloved pro mouse...

...and my new mouse should arrive 2-3 days!

9. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

hehe, told ya! :D :D

irmongoose