Pro mouse probs

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by fleagle, Oct 31, 2002.

1. fleagle macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm having a problem with the pro mouse on my son's iMac. It's a G3 runs os 9.1. Blue coloured.
    When it's switched on, the mouse icon on the screen does not move, pick it up and the light flashes for about 10-15 secs then stops, mouse then works for about 5 secs then stops completly.
    Can it be fixed or does a new mouse need to be bought, it's a sealed unit, cant get into it.
    Customer relations at my local comp shop is appalling, not getting anywhere, so thought i would try here.
    My son has learning probs and imac is brilliant for him and he is desperate to get back on.
    Can somebody please give advice.
    Many thanks.

2. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

What surface do you have it on? The light is supposed to go on when it sees movement and go off when it doesn't but it has to see a surface to get the light to come on. Are you using it on glass?

3. fleagle thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,
    The mouse is used on a ordinary desk table, the light flashes all the time now whether it's picked up or not. And mouse icon doesn't work at all on the screen.
    thanks for replying.

4. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

What is the surface like? Is it glossy or something. Try using the mouse on a piece of paper. Also is there anything else plugged into the usb ports of the computer. If there is try unpluggin everything except the mouse and trying that. There is no way of opening this mouse without killing it.

5. fleagle thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I've treid it on every surface poss today, desk is just an ordinary wooden type table, i've even tried it on the wall, light flashes all the time weather it is sitting still or picked up, nothing will work, there is nothing plugged in except key board and mouse, i've tried switching between usb ports on the key board and twiddling for loose connections, no luck, looks like it might be knackered but had to try here for advice, if it has to be replaced is there cheaper alternative rather than paying for a new pro mouse.
    thanks for quick replies.

6. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

There are a lot of good optical mice on the market right now. Kensington makes some really nice ones. I would recommend just doing some research at some of the Mac sites. In fact there have been several mouse threads here on MacRumors with in the last couple weeks.

This is the last reply I will be able to give you this morning. I have to go to work. There are some other very knowledgeable people on here at the very moment that should hopefully pick up where I am leaving off. Good luck.

7. fleagle thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

If the mouse light is steadily flashing it's a hardware problem and needs to be sent in for repair or replacement. I had a similar problem with mine, so I took it to the nearest Apple reseller with my proof of purchase and since it is covered under a 1-year warranty they replaced it with a new one, after plugging it into their computer to verify it was not working.