Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
Has anyone else noticed that, despite the PowerMac G4 manual saying you can use it on any surface except glass etc. and you don't need to have it on a mousepad, that the Apple Pro Mouse gets easily scratched on the white border on the underside? The sides are fine, but the bottom on the white is all scratched away which makes my mouse sound awful when gliding on the desk and kind of makes it stick.

I've noticed this on a few Macs I've set up in my work too - bit narked though because I've only had mine for a couple of months! (DP 867). I've got it on a standard, smooth wood desk at the mo. Is the simple answer to just use a mousepad from day one even though the manual doesn't say so?

Regards,
Mark

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
What it really means is that being an optical mouse it will operate on any surface. If you are worried about the bottom getting marked up then go ahead and use a mouse pad

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
Originally posted by Chaszmyr
What it really means is that being an optical mouse it will operate on any surface. If you are worried about the bottom getting marked up then go ahead and use a mouse pad

I'm not worried about it doing it, because it's already done it :p Fact is, it says it can be used on any surface. If the mechanism inside happens to work theoretically on any surface but it gets scratched and becomes unusable within time then it's basically not suitable for any surface is it? "Although the Optical mouse will function on any surface, to ensure it doesn't get damaged, always try to place on a mousepad or other smooth, coated surface" would've sufficed :p

I know what you're saying though - just wondering if I'm on my own here.

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
I see what you're saying, but you have to expect a little wear and tear. Plus, it's on the bottom of the mouse. Unless you turn the mouse over whenever you leave your desk, no one is going to notice it. A little, or for any matter, a lot of scratching will not affect the range of functionality of the mouse. Things get damaged. It just happens.

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
I used to use it on my desk which is a bit rough and it seemed to be getting worn away a bit so I decided to use a mousepad...now it just gets a bit of grime on it that can be rubbed off...

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
Originally posted by RBMaraman
I see what you're saying, but you have to expect a little wear and tear. Plus, it's on the bottom of the mouse. Unless you turn the mouse over whenever you leave your desk, no one is going to notice it. A little, or for any matter, a lot of scratching will not affect the range of functionality of the mouse. Things get damaged. It just happens.

You're right, but it's not an aesthetic thing - because the surface of the white outline underneath that TOUCHES the desk is scratched/scraped away in 6 weeks, it's rough when moved and emmits a soft grating noise - it's not right.

Nevermind, its seems I should've used a mousepad from the start - lesson learnt. I was just seeing if anyone else had had the same problem :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.